Smbc Under Fondant?

Baking By fuchica2007 Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 3:20am by LindaF144a

fuchica2007 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Ladies,
SMBC is by far my favorite to use on my cakes, but I was wondering if there is a way to make it crust. Would meringue powder help to make it crust, or will that change the taste of it? I finally figured out my smbc recipe, so I'm just looking for some tips to use it for a cake I am making this saturday (which will be covered in fondant).

TIA

9 replies
LindaF144a Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 10

You do not need a crusting butter cream under fondant. Just put your cake in the fridge til the SMBC gets hard (from all the butter in it), roll out your fondant ahead of time, pull the cake out of the fridge and cover it. This is how I did all the fondant covered cakes on my website. You will not have any problems.

MissLisa Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 10

Just my opinion, but I would think the meringue powder would give it a slightly different taste.
Why do you want/need it to crust? If you are putting fondant over it, I woudn't think it would matter. Hmmm I'm curious now.

LindaF144a Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 10

Sorry, I didn't respond to the part about meringue powder. It is nit necessary to add meringue powder either.

fuchica2007 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLisa

Just my opinion, but I would think the meringue powder would give it a slightly different taste.
Why do you want/need it to crust? If you are putting fondant over it, I woudn't think it would matter. Hmmm I'm curious now.




the couple of times I have used SMBC under fondant it didnt get hard enough, and when I would put the fondant over it, it would sometimes ooze out of the bottom when I was smoothing the sides of the fondant... maybe I just need to keep it in the fridge longer... how long do you leave a crumb coated cake in the fridge before applying fondant?

AngelFood4 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 10

I usually leave the cake in the fridge overnight or at least a few hours to get nice and hard. Haven't had a problem putting MMF over it or it oozing out.

SugarFiend Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuchica2007

the couple of times I have used SMBC under fondant it didnt get hard enough, and when I would put the fondant over it, it would sometimes ooze out of the bottom when I was smoothing the sides of the fondant... maybe I just need to keep it in the fridge longer... how long do you leave a crumb coated cake in the fridge before applying fondant?




I have the same issue, and would also love to hear how to avoid this!

icer101 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 10

when i use smbc, i let it stay in freezer over nite, before applying fondant, modeling chocolate,etc. I don,t put in fridge. hth

fuchica2007 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFood4

I usually leave the cake in the fridge overnight or at least a few hours to get nice and hard. Haven't had a problem putting MMF over it or it oozing out.



thank you so much for the tip! I'll definitely try that this week and let you know how it turns out icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:20am
post #10 of 10

I let it stay in hard enough to set, about a half an hour. I believe the reason why it oozes out the bottom is you may be cutting it too short along the edge. I cut my fondant so it sit flush against the cardboard disk right to the point of curling under.

I had it ooze out once on me. I believe i cut it just a little too high. Now I cut it to hit the bottom of the cardboard and seal it to that. I put a thick layer of SMBC under my fondant, so I know I may get some oozing. I believe at that stage it is normal. You are squeezing the cake so to speak. It can be wiped up and covered. That's what borders were invented for IMO. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%