New To Baking

Baking By CSTAMPP Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 6:36pm by CSTAMPP

CSTAMPP Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 3

Okay I am new to cake baking. I am renewing my vows in a couple of weeks and have decided to make my own cake. Practiced this weekend making a cake with marshmallow fondant icing. I did a layer of buttercream icing before putting on the fondant icing. Went to sample the next day and the fondant icing is hard to cut through. I was told the crusting is a food chemistry issue. It is the recipe that causes crusting or not....told I should use a new recipe......stupid questions but what is crusting.....Sorry for not knowing.

2 replies
MissLisa Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 3

Fondant will always be slightly difficult to cut through. The trick is a thin, sharp NON-sarrated knife. Making sure the cake is room temperature will help with cutting as well. If the cake has been in the fridge, it will be harder to cut.

Most fondants will dry but still be pliable, i.e. If you roll out a piece of fondant and let it set out at room temperature you can then handle it easier but if/when you flex it, it will likely crack.

As for crusting, that really only applies to the buttercream in this case. A crusting buttercream is one that dries to the touch on the outside but stays soft on the inside. If you use an American buttercream icing there is a much better chance of it crusting than say a Swiss Meringue or Italian Meringue buttercream.

CSTAMPP Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you. That is kind of what I thought, but since I am new to baking, I really wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%