I Hate You...but In A Good Way

Lounge By traci_doodle Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm by Awent9

traci_doodle Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 8

You know how girls sometimes hate the girl who's pretty and seems to have everything? Well, sometimes I feel that way when I see a really awesome cake. And then in the caption they write something like, "oh, it was my first time doing such and such" or, "pardon this or that, I know it's not perfect" when in fact it's a masterpiece. People, I envy you. I work so hard to make subpar cakes, and then someone else says, 'oh this is my first time..." and it looks so much better than mine. What gives?

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 8

It's just like any skill. Some people can walk up to a piano sit down and play. That would not be moi. Some people are gifted and just get it dopne the first time. Some people struggle, work hard and then can become artistic through determination.

TexasSugar Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 8

Sometimes those phrases are also key words to "please give me praise." icon_smile.gif

When we are doing new flowers in classes I always stress to my students the more you do them the better they get and say you should have seen my first ones. Some people do have a natural talent but many others do struggle through the first times doing things and getting it right.

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 8

The nice thing about cake decorating is that it's a craft, not an art. That means that we can all improve with practice...it's not a skill you have to be born with, it can be learned. You just have to be patient with yourself, and have fun...if you don't enjoy it, it's not worth doing.

Something that helps is to focus on one technique at a time. Master that one, and then move on to another. Don't try to learn a million new things all at once.

Kellbella Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 8

[quote="TexasSugar"]Sometimes those phrases are also key words to "please give me praise." icon_smile.gif

I agree! icon_wink.gif

traci_doodle Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 8

I guess what I was going for was "has anyone felt this way"? And how long did it really take before you felt like you were good at what you were doing? I do enjoy making cakes so I'll still be making them, even if I'm not as quick to learn as others. icon_smile.gif

traci_doodle Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 8

Okay, nevermind my last reply. At first I thought people were saying I was fishing for compliments. My husband had to clarify for me! Haha. But I guess I can't fault anyone for fishing for compliments, since I know I do it, too! I'm glad to know that many people are like me and take a lot of practice to get better. icon_smile.gif And I'm totally guilty of trying to master too many things at once. But it all looks like so much fun to do! Thanks for all the support, guys![/i]

Awent9 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 8

i feel that way all of time... i just try to remember that i am my own worst critic and its not usually as bad as i think it is! i think that is the case with most people!

Quote by @%username% on %date%