Fondant

Decorating By ILOVETOBAKE4life Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 6:26pm by dmo4ab

ILOVETOBAKE4life Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 9

hey everyone im new in baking cakes with fondant. What are some kinds of fondant. When they are on cakes can you eat them? I was told they taste bad. What you need to do to make them taste good. Any recipe on homemade fondant? How to storage it? Anything else i need to know about fondant?

8 replies
dmo4ab Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 9

Personally, I only use Marshmallow Fondant. There are several good recipies here on this site. It's easy to make, much cheaper than pre-made fondants, and taste pretty good. I always store it air tight in a freezer bag at room temp.
However, if this is your first time working with fondant, it would probably be a good idea to buy a small package of pre-made so that you can get used to what the texture should be and how it works.

momto2pottsy Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 9

Welcome to Cake Central! This site will become invaluable (and addictive) to you! I like to use marshmallow fondant personally. It tastes grea and is quick and easy to make! I don't know how to post a link so go to the recipe section and you'll find many. It is completely edible, however some people don't like the taste/texture and will peel it off the cake. There are many articles and forums on here that will give you tips and advice on how to work with fondant so just start reading up on it! That's what I did and I have greatly improved as a baker and decorator as a result! To flavour fondant I use extracts or LorAnn's oils. I also read a blog where someone uses jello powder to flavour/colour mmf; she just stirs them into the melted marshmallows. As for storing the mmf, I wrap it in saran wrap and place it in a ziploc bag and leave it on the counter.

ILOVETOBAKE4life Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks! I will see if i can find Marshmellow fondant.

dellababe Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 9

I use this recipe and it's delicious... www.whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
I do add a little clear Vanilla for more flavor..

leily Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 9

if you want to buy premade fondant Satin Ice and Fondarific are a couple of brands that are well liked. They both also are sold precolored for some of those dark hard to get colors.

if you make Marshmallow fondant and need a dark color, color the melted marshmallows BEFORE adding powdered sugar, its A LOT easier than kneading in a lot of red or black.

ILOVETOBAKE4life Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all I will try it! and lets say i make flowers etc i can keep them in a bag for how long till i need them?

jagvipers Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 9

I can't quite get the darker colors that I sometimes want, so I buy fondarific, but otherwise I make mmf!

dmo4ab Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVETOBAKE4life

Thank you all I will try it! and lets say i make flowers etc i can keep them in a bag for how long till i need them?

You can make flowers and deocorations weeks in advance. Just store them at room temp lightly covered to keep dust away. Don't store them air tight, or they will soften and lose their shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%