To London Uk Bakers On Quoting

Business By MissCakeCrazy Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 8:13am by MissCakeCrazy

MissCakeCrazy Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 11

A bride has enquired about a square wedding cake to serve 120 quests for a dessert therefore she needs double the quantity. I haven't quoted her yet but I have told her roughly that she will need a 6,8,10,12 and 14" sheet sponge cakes. She wants to have diamonte as the design. How much would you charge for this cake? Have I quoted enough tiers? Also, I may have to obtain the sheet cake from another baker as it will be too much for me to do. How much do you charge on undecorated / iced and marzipaned sheet cakes?

10 replies
Cocobongo Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 11

Hi there

To be honest, I would never sell a cake to another baker, as if there was a problem, and for example, it fell at the venue after being stacked, it could come back and bite you on the backside. Neither would I buy another cake from someone else, for exactly the same reason. I might not be up to my standard, and would you tell the bride and groom that you hadn't made them etc? How would you do a tasting if they weren't yours?

When I've been asked for cakes that I just don't have time to do, I refer them to another local company as I would rather that they had a good quality cake that wasn't mine, than I had a bucket load of stress trying to do an order that I just couldn't do and potentially messed something up.

Good luck either way icon_smile.gif

MissCakeCrazy Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for your response but I believe that I can do it even though it will be a big challenge. I know another baker which I will approach if it is definite but I just wanted to know, how much would I expect to get charged and are the tiers I quoted correct for the number of people?

joaste116 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 11

Hi, Ive never made a wedding cake so wouldnt know what to charge but, here is a serving guide you could use to get an estimate on portions. Maybe you could charge per serving. HTH http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1300478

joaste116 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 11
MissCakeCrazy Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks, it would be useful if I could also have a british guide as our cakes are only 3" tall (not your standard 4".

60sBunny Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 11

Hey.

I'm uk and my cakes end up pretty much 4" using 3" pans and then torting to 3 layers and filling.

At that the standard 2"x1"x4" is plenty of cake for most people, half that if any layers are fruit cake. I think for 120 people if you have any more cake than the original 4 tiers (170+ portions) your bride may end up upset at all the extra cake.

Has your bride specifically asked for twice as many portions as she has guests? If so, more money for you give her the cake.

But if double the size for a dessert portion following a full meal is an estimate I would consider scaling the number of portions back a little and losing the sheet cake. Then if your tiers are 3 inches tall, sit with a dessert plate and draw out a 2"x2"x3" cut of cake and see if you would be happy with that as dessert Thats 50% bigger than the standard portion?

MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 11

My 3in tall square cake chart say the following:
6in = 12
8in = 24
10in = 40
12in = 60
14in = 84

= 220 portions

Personally, I would suggest a 4 tier 6-8-10-12 display cake. That gives you 136 portions and is as close to what she wants as possible, and if she wants to keep the top tier, she'll still have enough servings for the guests.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 11

mikerosehunny, is that quote for a dessert size or a usual finger size?

MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 7:55am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCakeCrazy

mikerosehunny, is that quote for a dessert size or a usual finger size?

Dessert size 1.5x2xheight, on some tiers a little bigger. It's about 9 cubic inches for a 3in cake - a 1x2x4in serving is 8 cubic inches (and that really is plenty of cake for dessert after a full meal).

MissCakeCrazy Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 8:13am
post #11 of 11

thanks alot mikerowesbunny, i'll quote them a 4 tier cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%