Macaroons 2 - Me Zip!!

Decorating By G_Cakes Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 12:22pm by MaloSlatko

G_Cakes Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:52am
post #1 of 7

I need to pick your cake brains people as I am truly frustrated!

I have just bake up my 2nd batch of macaroons and although they taste fantastic the look horrible.

My first batch I made last weekend was ok but they puffed up great but when I checked on them again it looked like and earthquake had struck inside my oven as the had puffed up and "slid and became all lop sided and a mess.

My second batch that i baked up this evening looked promising in the start.

They had the nice round smooth tops and seemed well on there way.

But when I pulled them out they didnt rise properly and just spread out like a massive blob and stuck together.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong and was wondering is it the recipe or just me?

recipe:

Almond Macaroons

1 cup confectioners sugar
3/4 cup almond flour or finely ground almonds
2 large egg whites
pinch of cream of tarter
1/4 super fine sugar
3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam (*filling)

sift confectioners sugar and almond flour in separate bowl

whisk egg whites until foamy, add cream of tarter and beat until soft peaks form, add sugar and beat on high until stiff peaks form

fold in dry ingredients until mixture is smooth and shiny

transfer to pastry bag and pipe onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet bake at 325 for 6-8 mins rotating half way through...

Followed recipe to the letter... but no such luck!

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? is it me? my recipe?

Help!!!!

6 replies
MaloSlatko Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 11:08am
post #2 of 7

There are a couple of things that I do that you are missing: "ageing" your eggwhites and letting the macarons air-dry for an hour before baking. Try this method http://www.bakerella.com/macarons/

G_Cakes Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much MaloSlatko...

I wasn't air dry them and it made all the difference LOL.

Will be having a go at Bakerella's recipe tonight!

Bluehue Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 7

I have never added cream of tarter to my recipe icon_confused.gif
Don't see the point really.
After bringing my egg whites to a foam - i then gradually add my sugar....spoonfull by spoonfull

Yes, age your egg whites - the longer the better.
Even over night is good.

Are you sifting your almond meal at least twice - if not 3 times?
It can make the world of differance - as tiny particals of husk might be slipping through on the first sieve.... after every sift - i shake out what is left behind - then sift again....and then once more.

Oh - and what temp are you cooking them at?
And where is your rack in the oven - top - middle - lower half?

Sorry - one more question...
When you are folding your almond meal in - are you doing it very carefully and with a spatualr?
Otherwise you can knock the air out of you mix... remembering to bring the mix from the bottom of your bowl to the top so as its all incorporated.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

G_Cakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:49am
post #5 of 7

Sorry - one more question...
When you are folding your almond meal in - are you doing it very carefully and with a spatualr?
Otherwise you can knock the air out of you mix... remembering to bring the mix from the bottom of your bowl to the top so as its all incorporated.
Bluehue icon_smile.gif[/quote]

Thanks Bluehue...

and to answer your questions...

I was aging egg whites, and sifting almonds 4 or more times to make sure no larger grains getting in mix for lumpy texture.

Baking at 325 for about 6 mins then rotate tray and bake for another 5 mins then pop them out.
Oven rack is in middle of oven.

I think what I was missing was the part about letting them air dry so to speak and forming that hard outer crust before baking.

At 3 am last night I made my first of many yet to come successful batches.

Going to be at it again this evening and once I am done will post some pics.

dsilvest Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:45am
post #6 of 7

Is there not a chance of the eggs developing food poisoning when they are left out to age overnight?

MaloSlatko Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 7

Yes, there is a chance that some bacteria might develop in the egg whites however it will certainly not survive being baked in the oven for 20 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%