Drink Glasses?

Decorating By FWhitney Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 7:02pm by Bluehue

FWhitney Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:18am
post #1 of 6

I am making a 21st birthday cake, complete with different alcoholic drinks on top. I would like to make the different types of glasses(such as martini, margarita, wine, ect.), but am not sure the best materials to use.

Ideally I would love to make them out of melted sugar, but have never done that before, and also do not have the amount of money needed to invest in the sometimes expensive materials needed to make sugar molds.

I thought about doing them out of fondant or gumpaste and just painting the "drink" in the glass and on the outside, but everytime I "paint" on fondant it never really dries, it always stays tacky. And I am not positive I can achieve the look I want.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! icon_wink.gif

5 replies
Bluehue Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:46am
post #2 of 6

I made assorted cookies in the shape of glasses - and embosseed the *glass* fondant - then added hand rolled bubbles
Fraction of a snap is here...
Perhaps you could take an idea from this...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1854735⊂=1854741

Blue icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 6

You could get drink glass cutters. PM me if you want more info.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 6

Thats what i use for my champagne, lemonade and beer glass cookies -
They are widely available on the net - all different sizes and shapes.
What style you use them for is endless.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

FWhitney Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 6

That seems like a good idea. I think I can do them free handed without cutters. Thank you though!

I do have one question. I want these to be standing. And you used fondant on your cookies. If I made the fondant glasses would they get hard enough in a couple days to stand up right or would gumpaste work better? I am finding the the gumpaste is more difficult for me to work with.

Bluehue Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWhitney

That seems like a good idea. I think I can do them free handed without cutters. Thank you though!

I do have one question. I want these to be standing. And you used fondant on your cookies. If I made the fondant glasses would they get hard enough in a couple days to stand up right or would gumpaste work better? I am finding the the gumpaste is more difficult for me to work with.

Yes, if you roll your fondant out thinish - cut your shape - then decorate and allow to air dry for 2 days - they will be hard enough to stand ontop of your cupcakes.Even if you just add a little gumpaste to you fondant - that will help them firm up for sure..
Bluehue.
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%