Dealing With People In This Business

Decorating By MJP548 Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 9:42pm by playingwithsugar

MJP548 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJP548 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:37am
post #1 of 25

how come no one ever posts about how difficult it is dealing with customers in this business? maybe it is flordia but these people are driving me crazy?!!??!?

24 replies
CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:36am
post #2 of 25

Don't be discouraged, it's everywhere! Dealing with the general public can always be trying no matter what the business or the location. I think the closer it gets to the holidays, it gets a little worse, but you'll get that one lovely customer that makes it all worth while and helps balance out the crazies!! Keep your chin up!
Lori

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:49am
post #3 of 25

Yep, the holidays bring out all the crazies. I have held quite a few different jobs, from bartender/server/hostess. to a 9111 dispatcher for the fire department, and well, now a stay at home mom who bakes for friends. And there have been all kinds of crazies, especially around the holidays. People are stressed and in brings out the worst in even the nicest people. Hang in there, and remember to laugh, laughter is the best medicine!!!!!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 25

Its not just cake business............its any business......I once had a dance studio, I loved the kids but the parents drove me insane lol....you get that in every walk of life.....its just some people are nice while others are a challenge icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 10:53am
post #5 of 25

No one ever posts about it? icon_confused.gif OMG, those are my favorite threads! icon_lol.gif

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 11:38am
post #6 of 25

Just wanted to add....Be sure to watch out for the full moon too!!! That really brings out the crazies

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Its not just cake business............its any business......I once had a dance studio, I loved the kids but the parents drove me insane lol....you get that in every walk of life.....its just some people are nice while others are a challenge icon_smile.gif

Madge I didn't know you were a dance educator too! Small world!

I still own a dance studio. My husband who is also a dance educator convinced me to go in with him and open a studio in our little town. UGH! All the reasons I was ok with retiring from the studio biz 10 years ago, reared their ugly heads in less than one year. Love the kids, the parents can be absolute villians! Gossipy, self indignant, stage parents! If it weren't for the adorable kiddos I have the pleasure of sharing my passion of dance with I would easily walk away once more and just be content to judge dance competitions and teach workshops (which I still do icon_wink.gif )

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 25

All of this is so true, but yes, there is other threads about this same subject. That is why i don,t teach cake decorating to kids at michaels. Not because of the kids, but, because of the mouthy mothers i would have to endure. I think me and the kids would be fine together lol!

FrostingKrista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostingKrista Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 25

I have a crazy lady who likes to email me the night before she wants something for the next day! I (against my better judgment) agreed to do a cake for her daughters baby shower for Saturday. First she wanted me to drop it off the next evening, then she emailed asked if I could drop it off before lunch and then emailed 2 seconds later requesting I drop it off in the evening again and that her daughter would text me when she got home from work, which wouldn't be any later then 10:30pm!!! I like a fool, said fine....So about 10:20 I get a text from her daughter saying she is home - 15 mins later when I am half way there, she texts and says never mind she is stuck in traffic and won't be home until 11:30 (I couldn't for the life figure out where the traffic jam would be that late at night). I discussed it with my DH (as he was driving) and texted her back saying it was kind of late - She then asked if I could drop it off in the morning before 6am! That was the final straw....

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 25

Hey, about about soccer and little league..... I once coached a soccer team of 4 year olds when I lived in Ohio. It was during a heat wave and the weather was over 100! So in the best interest of the kids, I didn't have practice. The "parents" got pissed off because these kids weren't going to be ready for their big opening game and had me removed from the league as a coach. The president of the league called me and said everyone was complaining about my coaching abilities. These were 4 year olds!!!!! Most of them stood on the field and sucked their thumbs. I was so irked. I told 'em to stick it. It wasn't worth it. 4 years olds.... go figure.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostingKrista

I have a crazy lady who likes to email me the night before she wants something for the next day! I (against my better judgment) agreed to do a cake for her daughters baby shower for Saturday. First she wanted me to drop it off the next evening, then she emailed asked if I could drop it off before lunch and then emailed 2 seconds later requesting I drop it off in the evening again and that her daughter would text me when she got home from work, which wouldn't be any later then 10:30pm!!! I like a fool, said fine....So about 10:20 I get a text from her daughter saying she is home - 15 mins later when I am half way there, she texts and says never mind she is stuck in traffic and won't be home until 11:30 (I couldn't for the life figure out where the traffic jam would be that late at night). I discussed it with my DH (as he was driving) and texted her back saying it was kind of late - She then asked if I could drop it off in the morning before 6am! That was the final straw....

Yikessss, I'm glad I read this threads...I think I'll never go into the cake businesss icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif LOL

madgeowens Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 2:30am
post #12 of 25

cakesdivine...........yes I loved teaching dance, it was wonderful,the kids were great....I can't dance anymore because I have high risk osteoporosis and arthritis, but if I tap dance they think I will break all my bones and fall into a heap of ash or something the way they act lol.....I use to be so fit............ah youth, hahaha to be 50 again lol...........it seems a lot of dancers and nurses take up cake decorating icon_smile.gif

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 2:46am
post #13 of 25
Quote:

it seems a lot of dancers and nurses take up cake decorating icon_smile.gif

I'm going backwards. Decorator/nursing student. icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 2:53am
post #14 of 25

haha hey whatever works.......its a great vocation, nursing icon_smile.gif

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:52pm
post #15 of 25

I gave up being a hairdresser because I couldn't stand people. I'm not big on hanging out with women to begin with, but the drama and gossip! No wonder most of my clients were men and kids! I became a massage therapist and even though I still have to work with people, they just want to relax so they don't talk. At least most of them. Haha.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:12pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:

Accountants do too!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif although, I still work as an accountant full time and 'caking' is just my hobby...

***note---I like my hobby better than my job *** thumbs_up.gif

Edited to correct typo icon_redface.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:25pm
post #17 of 25

We have a customer who comes in occasionally and orders cupcakes. They have to be iced with a certain tip to look a certain way or she will go ballistic. I am not kidding. The owner now ices them personally to make sure they were okay. Evidently she came in last year the day before Thanksgiving, 1/2 hour before closing and wanted a cake. We are special order cakery only. When we didn't have one to accommodate her, she was so distraught that her Mother had to take her out to the parking lot to console her. And it took several minutes to calm her down too. We think there are some emotional issues going on there and there is a worry of her going postal if we don't do as she asks from now on.

And that is just one of many. And Debi is right, it is posted about all the time here.

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:38pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

We have a customer who comes in occasionally and orders cupcakes. They have to be iced with a certain tip to look a certain way or she will go ballistic. I am not kidding. The owner now ices them personally to make sure they were okay. Evidently she came in last year the day before Thanksgiving, 1/2 hour before closing and wanted a cake. We are special order cakery only. When we didn't have one to accommodate her, she was so distraught that her Mother had to take her out to the parking lot to console her. And it took several minutes to calm her down too. We think there are some emotional issues going on there and there is a worry of her going postal if we don't do as she asks from now on.

And that is just one of many. And Debi is right, it is posted about all the time here.

Wow... For this kind of client, there is a pill out there with their name on! ...that must be taken...the sooner, the better! icon_eek.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:53pm
post #19 of 25

How could you miss those threads? There isn't a week that goes by that we don't have at least 3 of them.

Key word in the search box - vent! that and bridezilla are the words they seem to use most.

They are the threads that make me grateful that I do not sell cakes.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 6:06pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

How could you miss those threads? There isn't a week that goes by that we don't have at least 3 of them.

Yeah, sometimes 3 per day!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif It's such a shame that something as happy as cakes turns some folks into grumps and divas. I guess cake decorating would be a great business if it weren't for the customers, but then, nursing would be wonderful if it weren't for some patients......teaching would be fun if it weren't for some parents...........etc. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe some service-related situations just bring out the worst in people. icon_sad.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 6:13pm
post #21 of 25

All service-related occupations bring out the worst in people. I used to work as a telephone operator.

In some instances, so does Christmas. Black Friday Sales and fights over parking spaces often disintegrate the joy that once was a holiday of faith, hope and charity.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sugarlovemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlovemom Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:01pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

No one ever posts about it? icon_confused.gif OMG, those are my favorite threads! icon_lol.gif

indydebi you either make laugh or teach me something new everytime you post an answer!!! those are my favorites too!!! icon_lol.gif

sugarlovemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlovemom Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:07pm
post #23 of 25

I was a Flight attendant for 8 long years!!! i've been waitress, front desk agent.... dealing with people is just not easy.... billions of times i wished i could work on an office behind a computed without dealing with customer service..... is just life! if you gotta deal w people you are gonna always have crazyness!!! that's why i coulnd't be happier with my 8 months belly just chilling at home and having fun at CC!!!

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:36pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

Accountants do too!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif although, I still work as an accountant full time and 'caking' is just my hobby...

***note---I like my hobby better than my job *** thumbs_up.gif

Edited to correct typo icon_redface.gif

I'm an accountant, too! But I quit my day job to be a stay-at-home mom. Now I do the books for my husbands business, take care of kids, and make cakes because it's the disease that I've caught!

playingwithsugar Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:42pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlets-Cakes

I'm an accountant, too! But I quit my day job to be a stay-at-home mom. Now I do the books for my husbands business, take care of kids, and make cakes because it's the disease that I've caught!

You've got the disease, and it's these very same bee-yotch customers that are the vaccination for it. There's been more than one former member here who gave up on their business because of them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%