Black Icing Question

Decorating By Flur Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 10:47pm by Colliegirl

Flur Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 8

I have to make a magician's hat cake, and I've never covered a cake with fondant. I've only used fondant and gumpaste as accents, so I'm nervous about covering the entire cake. I'm afraid if I tint my buttercream black, everyone's teeth will be black/purple. Would spraying the buttercream have the same effect as coloring the icing black? Or, does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 8

I like to try & talk clients into using brown. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. You can purchase black fondant--I'd recommend that. You can't always get a real true black with an air brush or a can of spray.

I'd also recommend that you practice some with white fondant. Then try the black. Black can be a little moist.

Colliegirl Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:04am
post #3 of 8

I agree with k8memphis, sometimes with the bought black fondant I will put some GMC to get a harder fondant for easier use. Don't know what others think of that, but it works for me. I am not sure you are going to get rid of the experience of black mouths etc. except of course if you encourage them not to eat this is they don't want black/purple mouths.

While on this topic of black icing. Does anyone know how to get true black royal icing? I have put loads of Wilton Black (negro) and it still looks like a dark grey. Is there are trick to this? Is there a black powder colour that I don't know about? I can only find red powder colouring.

puddles_gal Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:19am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colliegirl

I agree with k8memphis, sometimes with the bought black fondant I will put some GMC to get a harder fondant for easier use. Don't know what others think of that, but it works for me. I am not sure you are going to get rid of the experience of black mouths etc. except of course if you encourage them not to eat this is they don't want black/purple mouths.

While on this topic of black icing. Does anyone know how to get true black royal icing? I have put loads of Wilton Black (negro) and it still looks like a dark grey. Is there are trick to this? Is there a black powder colour that I don't know about? I can only find red powder colouring.

Hi there! I always add some cocoa powder to my royal icing first to make it chocolate, then add in Americolor black coloring. Works like a charm every time! thumbs_up.gif

karabeal Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:30am
post #5 of 8

On the subject of getting black royal icing, I also start with chocolate royal icing. Then it is pretty simple to get a true black. But remember, it does make the icing taste different (the cocoa powder, not the black coloring). It doesn't taste bad, but it can be a surprise if you aren't expecting it. A tiny bit used to bring out the details in a cookie usually doesn't affect the taste of the cookie overall.

And I've started with brown/chocolate fondant and added black coloring to it to get black fondant. Worked great.

Colliegirl Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:24am
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much, should've thought about the cocoa powder to begin with. Argghhh my mind is going on me! Well I think it went on me some time ago, and I am just fudging now! icon_smile.gif

Good idea with the fondant, I ran out of black and need it for a cake tonight, so instead of having to trapse in the car down to the suppliers I will do my own. Cheers

luvmysmoother Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 8

I also find that Americolor super black is WAY better than Wilton black not only in terms of colour but you can also buy it online in large sized bottles (reasonably priced) and you can squeeze it out rather than fuss with the toothpicksicon_smile.gif

Colliegirl Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 8

Hmm thanks Luvmysmoother. I shall look into that, I don't think we get that here, at least I haven't seen it. I shall order it online. Cheers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%