What Type Of Frosting Should Be Used For Cupcake Bouquets?

Baking By hollyheartscuppycakes Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 10:03pm by lholybee

hollyheartscuppycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyheartscuppycakes Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 8

So I've seen some really amazing cupcake flowers and bouquets so what kind of frosting are you using? Does it have to be something with shortening? How does Swiss meringue buttercream hold up? If you've got a good basic recipe please could you fill me in?

Thanks!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 8

If you make a lot of SMBC you'll know that the consistency is really dependent on how warm your butter is when you add it to your meringue (final consistency is based on the emulsion at the time of mixing). I get the smoothest icing when my butter is at least 72 degrees or warmer. But, If I need to pipe roses or need it to be firmer, I use colder butter (68 degrees or so - practically straight out of the fridge) cut into small pieces when I add it to the meringue. It will break when you mix it it, it takes longer to come together and will have air pockets, but it eventually will work itself out and be stiffer at room temp. It holds decorative piping nicely, as well as on a cupcake bouquet, (as long as the outside temp isn't too hot, that is!).

Good luck!

hollyheartscuppycakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 8

Smbc that I made a few weeks ago turned out amazing but it tasted extreamly buttery. Does that mean I didnt mix the butter into the frosting enough? I used the Martha Stewart recipe and it took like 5 sticks of butter. How about a frosting with shortening? Would this hold up better at room temp? I really dont want to make a bouquet and have the frosting start slicing off if it's been sitting at room temp for a few hours. I just started baking and making frosting so I've got a lot of questions!!! Thanks

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 8

merigue bcs do taste buttery. if your not keen maybe stick to traditional recipes. shortening bc holds up to higher temps than butter based bc, but even buter based bc has no problems at room temp (as in not max central heating!)
xx

hollyheartscuppycakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 8

Hey thanks!!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyheartscuppycakes

Smbc that I made a few weeks ago turned out amazing but it tasted extreamly buttery. Does that mean I didnt mix the butter into the frosting enough? I used the Martha Stewart recipe and it took like 5 sticks of butter. How about a frosting with shortening? Would this hold up better at room temp? I really dont want to make a bouquet and have the frosting start slicing off if it's been sitting at room temp for a few hours. I just started baking and making frosting so I've got a lot of questions!!! Thanks

Off topic, but the recipe I use is:

1lb unsalted butter (temp based on how stiff you want your icing)
6.25 oz egg whites (between 5-7 eggs, depending on size)
7 oz sugar (1 cup)
pinch salt

Whisk egg whites, sugar and salt over a pot of boiling water till it reaches 160 degrees, remove from heat and beat with a stand mixer on high for at least 10 minutes, and completely cool. Using a paddle attachment, mix in your butter on low until smooth (can take 10 minutes or more). If humid, throw in a pinch of cream of tartar after you cook the eggs but before you whip to meringue.

The brand of butter you use matters too - stay way from store brands and look at the ingredients, if it lists "natural flavors" after cream, then it is going to have an unnatural butter flavor when you make this. Get a butter that only has "cream" as it's ingredient.

As long as it's not sitting in 80 + degree weather or direct sunlight it won't melt off.

Good luck!

hollyheartscuppycakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 8

awesome!!! Thanks FromScratchSF

I'll have to give that a try next time

lholybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lholybee Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 10:03pm
post #8 of 8

The first time I made SMBC I accidentally used salted butter and all you could taste was butter. The next time I made it was with unsalted butter and it was MUCH better, didn't taste like I was eating a stick of butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%