How Many?

Decorating By tamicat49 Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 10:50am by indydebi

tamicat49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamicat49 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 8

For those of you who use box mixes, how many do you usually keep on hand in the cupboard? Just curious, my husband says I buy too many.

7 replies
KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 8

I usually like to have 10 or so. Different flavors.......

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 8

I always buy them when they are buy one get one free, even if I have some already. My pantry has anywhere from 8-16 at any given time. Have to make sure you've got all the flavors covered!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 8

I use mixes for my practice cakes. I try to keep 4 of each flavor I use in stock at all times.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 8

I use to keep alot of them, different flavors and such. Now a days I don't keep more than a few chocolate and vanilla on hand. I also only do cakes here and there, so when I have a cake to do I end up going to the store anyway. I use to keep many different flavors on hand, but after throwing out many out of date mixes I quit doing that.

FrostingKrista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostingKrista Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 8

My husband says the same thing...lol

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:03am
post #7 of 8

i stock up when they're on sale. Just last week i found DH for 80 cents each so i now have 15 white, 10 chocolate, and 6 yellow. I use white cake mixes as bases for other flavors too so i usually have more of those on hand. and with going into the holidays I know that i'll use more.

Now, i do like to always keep 6 white, 6 chocolate, and 2 yellow on hand, but get more when i find a good deal.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 10:50am
post #8 of 8

i would buy 3-4 cases (36-48 ) at a time. If I got down to 6 of one flavor, that was considered "out".

In the shop, I created a "minimum inventory level" list that I posted so my girls could let me know when I needed to restock. For example, I wanted to ALWAYS have two of the 7-lb bags of p.sugar on hand, so when I got down to 2, they'd let me know. Eggs - 2 dozen; 6-lb cans of Crisco -2; margarine - 10 lbs; food safety gloves - 2 boxes, etc.

(Learned thsi from my warehouse managing days when I had to control inventory ... making sure I had enough on hand and being able to give a restocking order to the plant with sufficient lead time.)

Now I think the record is held by a fellow CC'er I know who bought something like 150 or 250 boxes of cake mix. she found a fabulous price and stocked up!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%