How Do I Stick Sugar Gems On Fondant?

Decorating By MiriamG Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 5:44pm by soledad

MiriamG Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I read a few other threads about this, but am hoping for some more info.

How can I get my sugar gems to stick on my fondant covered cake? I once tried water but they all slid down (looked like the cake had been crying!).

I see people recommend Tylose, but I don't have any and don't have time to go get it.

Someone else suggested piping gel (which I have). Has anyone had success with this? Will they stay in place for a couple days?

Any advice is much appreciated!

5 replies
Hitch Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 6

Hi MiriamG,
I made some suger glue, take 20gm of the sugarpaste you covered your cake in mix 15g of water put in the microwave and heat until it boils let it cool, do not put too much on the gem or it will slide, I hope this helps.

MiriamG Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 12:30am
post #3 of 6

Thank you, Hitch! I will give that a try!

AngelFood4 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:58am
post #4 of 6

Piping gel works perfectly plus it's clear so it won't show through the gems. You may have to hold it in place for a few minutes to dry and not slide down.

MiriamG Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you, AngelFood4! I may give that a go as well, I will report back on results icon_smile.gif

soledad Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 6

Miriamg... when you do it , try first on a separate piece of fondant, just cover a bowl or glass with a little fondant to see which technique will be better. icon_smile.gif

CIAO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%