Pricing Cookies At $1 Per Inch ??

Baking By PuffCake Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 1:18pm by indydebi

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 6

I feel silly asking this question but how do you determine the size of your cookie? Do you just use the largest measurement? For example, if the cookie is approx 3 inches wide by approx 4 inches tall, is that considered a 4 inch cookie? Or is there some other calcualtion?

I have an elf cookie cutter that is 5.5 inches tall, but only 1.5 inches wide (it's a skinny elf with a tall hat!). How do you calculate based on unusual measurements like that?

5 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 6

Personally I ust use "small" "medium" and "large" and categorize my cutters that way. I have so many odd shaped cutters, that straight up inches doesn't really work for me. I consider the overall size of the cookie. so if I have a cutter that is lets say 4x4 i would price it the same as a cookie that is 6x2.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Amy! So it sounds like you go with the average of the cookie dimensions.

For those of you who charge by the inch, how do you determine the size of the cookie in order to price it? Is a 3x5 cookie charged as a 5 inch cookie because it's that big one 1 side, or is it a 4 inch cookie because that's the average of the dimensions?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 10:57am
post #4 of 6

a 3x5 cookie, I price as a 5" cookie. however, there are some that I'd logically alter. for example a baseball bat that may be 1/2" wide by 4" tall, I'd probably sell for $2 instead of $4.

BUT .......! The way i'd phrase it to the customer is as a BIG FAVOR! "Thse are $4 each, but tell you what ..... just for you I'll let you have them for $2 each. how's that sound?"

they feel like they've Pricelined me and got a deal and I appear to be just the most wonderful person in the world! icon_biggrin.gif

I've learned over the years that sounding like I"m giving them "a deal" reduces the haggling time.

mamanorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamanorm Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 6

I'm not sure i understand the concept of using size for pricing. I know that larger cookies use up more ingredients - but frankly - the time it takes to decorate the cookies should be the price point based on the number of colors, the details and the different designs in an order. I just made 24 five inch Cookie Monsters that were all the same, 3 colors, and no "extras" (dragess, etc.).Then made 24 three inch cookies for a wedding shower - several different designs, more colors, and plenty "extras". The shower cookies took twice the time, but based on size, they should cost less. Please help me figure this out - as I am just starting my business.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 6

The price-by-size is a rule of thumb. Just like cakes are priced per serving, the carved cakes and intricitely designed cakes usually have an upcharge for the extra work. Common sense and logic should prevail in any pricing formula, but all formulas start with a basic "rule of logic".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%