Can Ri Be Stored?

Baking By Renoir Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 4:08pm by 3GCakes

Renoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renoir Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 7

If so, how to do it and how long will it last?

6 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 7

RI can be stored. I like to keep it in a glass container with a tight lid. The glass container must be absolutely grease free.

Once you store it, you will usually need to re-whip it before using again.

You may also notice it breaks down and seperates, but it can be stirred/whipped back together again.

I'm not sure exactly for how long, I've stored it for a week or so. I make it with meringue powder and not real eggs, so that might make a difference.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 7

I have frozen RI in the past, works great. Put it in a ziplock bag with all the air expelled and pop it in the freezer.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

I have frozen RI in the past, works great. Put it in a ziplock bag with all the air expelled and pop it in the freezer.

Really? This is great if you can...I hate making RI because I don't use much of it and it goes to waste. Do you use eggs or powder? And I assume you rewhip?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 7

I use eggs. Let it defrost fully, rewhip and good to go. You have to make sure there is absolutely no air in the bag though because it'll make it crusty inside.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 7

Wow, thanks! Freezing RI...This will help immensely!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 7

You know, come to think of it...I watched a lady on a local news show quite some time back...and she did some fondant cut-outs and glued them on with RI she have frozen in a ziplock baggy. She didn't re-whip it though.

I've wasted so much RI over the years....I rarely make it anymore. Good to know I can freeze it...because I will! Thanks all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%