KDFcreations Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:05pm
post #1 of

I tried searching a few times but came up empty. Then I started thinking that maybe I don't know the proper name??? I'm making a beer keg/cooler cake, with beer bottles on top. (Bottles have been sterilized and no, I'm not attempting sugar bottles) ANYWAYS... How do I make the 'pretend' ice. Is it a poured sugar thing? What's the recipe? What do I do? Please help! I'm considering making gelatin cubes if I can't figure the other out, they'll just taste gross, hahah.

Thanks!!!!!!

5 replies
AngelFood4 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #2 of

Using regular sugar turns a little yellow. If you want clear sugar cubes, use Isomalt. I made some Kryptonite for a Superman cake and have the sugar glass recipe on there: http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/09/superman-kryptonite-cake-and-sugar.html

If you do make the gelatin, flavor it with clear flavorings such as lemon, coconut, clear vanilla, etc. Plain gelatin does taste awful!

Here's a previous post about the same thing:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=697241&sid=a668b57db1da7c1955de343869781b9b

KDFcreations Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:09pm
post #3 of

Thanks Angela. I can't seem to find Isomalt Is it a specialty product? I'm from a small city in Eastern Canada. The cake is for Wednesday...so shipping is out of the question.

I've also read about bringing the sugar to a soft crack stage and letting it set longer. I may try that.

AngelFood4 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:24pm
post #4 of

Yes, it's a specialty product. I have the one made by CK Products that I bought at a cake supply store.

You'll get a light yellow tint when using regular sugar but it works...just take your time and don't rush the heating stage...be super careful to not burn yourself.

Good luck!

bakencake Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:31pm
post #5 of

try rock candy. that looks like ice.

KDFcreations Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:45pm
post #6 of

Thanks Angela, I'll have to look at ordering it for future use. I'm not too concerned about the yellow tint.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%