Accidentally Made Cupcakes That Taste Just Like Pancakes!

Baking By IchigoChisou Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 12:31am by IchigoChisou

IchigoChisou Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:37am
post #1 of 5

So I decided to try making some brown sugar cupcakes. I used Martha Stewart's recipe (without the brown butter glaze)

I had some how ran out of AP flour, so I decided to use Cake seemed like a good idea because that's what we use in Culinary school for cakes and such. Well, the conversion between AP and Cake flour isn't as easy as I thought, so I think I ended up with tooo much flour in my cupcakes.

The first batch came out horribly dry, so for the second batch I undercooked them by about 8 minutes. The results were wonderful. The tops and very center of the cupcakes were undercooked...but because of the brown sugar it was like eating warm cookie dough, and the rest of the cupcake tasted JUST LIKE a PANCAKE.

I used banana mousse (Ive got a pic in my gallery) and they came out very pretty...but really...all it needed was some butter and maple syrup! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
MollyGirl_17 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:52am
post #2 of 5

In my family we use butter and brown sugar on our pancakes instead of syrup, so these sound so good!! thumbs_up.gif

MollyGirl_17 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:56am
post #3 of 5

In my family we use butter and brown sugar on our pancakes instead of syrup, so these sound so good!! thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 5

I don't know how you converted, but I do it all the time. AP flour is 4.5 ounces and cake flour is 4.1 unsifted. Sifted I use 3.5. But I also add more liquid than what is in this recipe. I would use a full cup. Cake flour absorbs more liquid than AP. I am surprised at how low the amount of buttermilk is and how high the egg content is. I don't like the taste of high egg cakes. They taste pancakey! icon_biggrin.gif

I have found recipes formulated like this do take on a pancakey taste. I tried a similar recipe and did not liKe it either. I believe it has something to do with the amount of eggs in this recipe. But I would have thought that was something taught in culinary school too. I mean I learned everything I know from reading the books used in culinary schools.

Underbaking this recipe will not help it become moist as you found out. What I see in this recipe is a cake batter high in eggs and low in buttermilk. The result will be what you got. I would suggest a recipe that is the opposite, or try backing off one egg at a time and increasing the buttermilk a little at a time til you get what you desire.

IchigoChisou Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 12:31am
post #5 of 5

Well it is only my first semester in culinary school, I've been baking for like half a year and had never made anything with buttermilk before, so I really wasn't sure what this recipe would do. I'm not a big fan of Martha Stewart, but I decided to try it anyway. Another problem was that the recipe was given in measurements, not weight so that might have thrown me off a little as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%