Stepped Out On Faith

Decorating By Wesha Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 11:02am by Sharonvdberg

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:32am
post #1 of 22

Hey Guys,

I wanted to know how many of you hated your job so much that you stepped out on faith and pursued your cake business full time be it home or storefront and never looked back? I would love to hear stories...

21 replies
Sharonvdberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharonvdberg Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 11:46am
post #2 of 22

Thinking of it seriously. I feel I need some experience though

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 22

I was too scared to take the risk myself, so it was a blessing in discguise when I got laid off. I went for it with my cake bussiness and never looked back. I am fortunate though that my husband has a good job, so during slow periods of time (mainly Jan & Feb) we are OK without me doinmg much bussiness. I was doing cakes "on the side" when I worked full time, I loved doimg cakes but I never had any free time. I am so much happier and have so much more time for my children having a home cake studio as my full time job.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 22

The ONLY thing that comes to mind when reflecting on pre-self-employment employment is the insurance and the lack of tax related paperwork...actually, paperwork in general. Although, there are policies for small businesses and self-employed folk, that's more paperwork to deal with.

Other than that, I don't regret it a bit.

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 22

I did just that stepped out on faith to go into the ministry full time and my cake business. I had a full time job with the military and was making good money but through much prayer and hearing from God I took that step and my cake business is really being blessed and is increasing very well. Trust me though I had to know that it was God instructing me to take this step or I wouldnt have but HE has truly blessed my cake business because it is also a ministry as I get to meet people and talk about Him and as I stated HE has truly blessed my business.

Sharonvdberg Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 22

wow. you guys are inspirational. I am almost there

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 22

I stepped out on faith regarding my business several times. Last year, when we felt like it was time to open the business, we prayed, and followed God's direction.

It was a huge step for us when we stepped out and I went part-time at my dayjob in April. My husband is retired and I carried our insurance. When I went part-time, not only did my salary drop in half, I lost my insurance, pto and every other benefit my company offered, so it was a huge financial impact to us. Our business immediately doubled in size.

We recently stepped out and hired someone to help out part-time. Our next biggest step will be when I quit the dayjob, which is coming very soon. It can be hard, but I couldn't have done it without Him, without a doubt.

all4cake Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I stepped out on faith ... I couldn't have done it without Him, without a doubt.

Without a doubt!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 22

I wish I could...my heart wants to but my my head says NO NO NO. I make way too much working in the hospital to give it up. Maybe one day go part time!

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm
post #10 of 22

[quote="Kellbella"]I wish I could...my heart wants to but my my head says NO NO NO. I make way too much working in the hospital to give it up. Maybe one day go part time![/quote

I also feel the same way, I am working on a business plan (almost done) but lack the finaces to do it. But I am aslo calling on the Lords help if this is what He has planned for me than it will all work out for his glory. icon_biggrin.gif

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 22

I left a great paying job to work as a cake decorator in a local bakery. Well, that turned into a nightmare really quickly when it came out to be nothing more than "grocery store" style cakes. I up and quit and have been home ever since. I have steady work via word of mouth from friends and family. The problem is that folks won't pay what my work is worth. The hrs and material costs accumulate really quickly for elaborate pieces. Luckily my Hubby can handle our house hold and well truth be told, even though our house hold's income has been slashed in half, we are doing better now than ever. I took that step, and I have never been happier. Money doesn't make the world go round, it just greases the wheels. Good Luck!!!

all4cake Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 22

It may sound insane but, I made no plans...just know, it will be scary and there's risks no matter how prepared you are.

uniquecreations Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:56pm
post #13 of 22

Oh yeah even when you take that step knowing that it's God the fear will always surface wondering if you did the right thing, but I just told God I am going to trust you in this and I have and it's been a blessing but it's a blessing in many ways as I am home with my son and he is interested in the ministry and in cakes, he's my delivery man and he loves it. So it was a blessing all the way around.

EdieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdieP Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 22

I am actually the president of a small company where I live. My friend and sister in Christ was diagnosed with stage 4 Cancer earlier this year. Because she is in ministry, she did not have health insurance. I starting making cakes to help pay for her medical expenses. 9 months later I am still getting order and I know it is all a blessing from God. Do I contemplate selling my other business..yes every day..so that I can stay with my girls and make cakes.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:30pm
post #15 of 22

I would like to take that step one day. I have a lot to learn (esp. with decorating) icon_cool.gif . At this point, I know this is my passion but I set up a 5 year plan for myself to practice as much as possible and then re-evaluate. I have a full time job with a long commute icon_cry.gif so my free time is split between my family and baking.

I will some day but until that time, I will continue to gather inspiration through all of you icon_biggrin.gif

Crazboutcakes Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdieP

I am actually the president of a small company where I live. My friend and sister in Christ was diagnosed with stage 4 Cancer earlier this year. Because she is in ministry, she did not have health insurance. I starting making cakes to help pay for her medical expenses. 9 months later I am still getting order and I know it is all a blessing from God. Do I contemplate selling my other business..yes every day..so that I can stay with my girls and make cakes.

Your story is amazing and I only wish you the best, God uses us for his glory alone.... kudoos to you thumbs_up.gif

Crazboutcakes Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:12pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdieP

Your story is amazing and I only wish you the best, God uses us for his glory alone.... kudoos to you thumbs_up.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:58am
post #18 of 22

I posted earlier but some things happened today that I feel theneed to share. I was just going to pm but maybe others will find inspiration also.

I apologize if this is long, but it's been quite a day.

We are getting close to making the decision for me to leave the part-time job and since we aren't taking any money from the business yet, that is HUGE for us. I've been plagued about doubts about my work, about the money, just where we are to go next. I'm also someone that needs God to really lay it out for me in black and white. Last night, I again really prayed for direction and reassurance that we are on the right path.

I work 7 - 12 at my day job. Shortly before I was supposed to leave today, some things happened with my supervisor that ticked me off so bad. In 31 years of working, I have never been so close to telling someone to take a job and shove it and walk out. But, year-end bonuses are coming and I can't afford to walk out on fairly substantial money. I was more than LIVID, it was completely unbelievable.

I leave there and go to the shop and I'm not feeling very good, of course. I've been so concerned that my business would tank in November, and it has not, at all. I was pretty booked already for this weekend, but my husband took an order this morning for Saturday, then I got several more calls during the day. I got several calls from people that have been to events recently where I did the cake, including a baby shower just this past weekend. These calls were making me feel so much better, then I got a call from Mrs. D.

She ordered a cake a month ago from another bakery for her daughters 18th birthday. They called her today and said that they couldn't do it. She was apparently calling around to different bakeries when she called me and she was pretty down, I could tell. We start talking about the cake and she wants a shoebox cake. She sends a picture of what she wants, I say sure. She looks at my website and likes what she sees. Anyway, I gave her a price and she actually thought it was too low icon_eek.gif and actually is giving me $34 MORE than my price.

At the end of the call, she asked "Where do you go to church?". I told her and she said "I could tell. You have such a pleasant personality and sometimes, you can just tell with people." icon_cry.gif That touched me so incredibly, especially after what had happened earlier.

Hmmm, I need confirmation that I'm on the right path, and God provided it in black and white. How could I ever deny that? Never.

I apologize for the length of this post. After seeing the post this morning and then the events of the day...well, I felt led to share.

For anyone needing to know whether to step out on faith, just ask God, He will answer you and give you what you need.

Blessings to all!

uniquecreations Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 2:30am
post #19 of 22

WOW!!! tracycakes that is an awesome story, God will always confirm His word and what He tells us to do. I was just like you I knew what God was telling me to do but I needed that confirmation and when I went into a beauty salon to deliver a cake the stylist that I delivered the cake to gave me the exact same word that God had given me in my prayer time concerning my business so as you stated when it is truly HIM telling you to step out on faith He will always confirm HIS word. This topic is so awesome and like you I hope it will bless and encourage someone else who may be feeling that God is moving them in this direction!!!!!!

elliegails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliegails Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 2:36am
post #20 of 22

I left a fulltime teaching job to open my business. I LOVE what I do, but some of the physical problems are difficult (foot problems from standing so long, always being over tired). I don't regret making the change, but it hasn't been easy. It is a lot like having children, if you wait for the perfect time, it will never happen. Sometimes you just have to leap.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:11am
post #21 of 22

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I am also in the process of making a decision to leave my "day job". Fortunately my DH is the major breadwinner and insurance provider for us, but we do have a couple of commitments to tend to before I can leave.

It is a frustrating time at work, feeling so restless and worn out, but the reminder to seek God's plan and His timing was just what I needed.

Thanks again!

Sharonvdberg Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 11:02am
post #22 of 22

WOW, isn't the Lord amazing! We came here for the Love of Cakes and He is giving us of Himself. Thanks all for sharing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%