Italian Meringue Buttercream Under Fondant?

Decorating By Kailea Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 11:20pm by metria

Kailea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kailea Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:37am
post #1 of 10

This is going to be long ..... Sorry ~ I made a cake this past weekend and had some terrible results, wasn't pleased with the cake to say the least. First I made Indydebi crisco-based bettercream icing. Wasn't at all happy with the taste nor did my friends like it either... sorry I hate to say that because I don't want to hurt feelings icon_sad.gif Second, I made the fondant ( Rhonda's MMF) but when I rolled it out I was using powered sugar on my work table so it wouldn't stick, using crisco on the table just made it too sticky.... so when I had the fondant rolled out and applied it to the cake, the fondant stayed powdered from the PS and i couldn't get it off not even with water *sigh* Also I couldn't even color the batch of fondant I was using wiltons gels... I tried to work in red and got pink, tried to add skin tone and also got a pink/salmon color, and so on and so on.... The buttercream I made above also wouldn't color black ?? turn a dark grey/purple color .... Third thing~ I wanted to make some round circles out of gumpast (wilton) and oh my when the dried they cracked in half .... and they were thick too....One final thing I have a recipe that was used by a baker and was wondering if anyone would be able to pm me and we can see what I can do with it (tweek it ) Thank you so very much for helping me.... This was the first cake i ever done..... I have been reading that much I have a headache *sigh*

9 replies
Kailea Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:39am
post #2 of 10

Can you use Italian Meringue Buttercream under fondant ?
Thanks

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:04am
post #3 of 10

Yes, you can use imbc.

Sry you had such a bad experience.

Kailea Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:11am
post #4 of 10

Thank you for your reply icon_smile.gif If anyone can explain to me why all those things happened I would love to hear them icon_smile.gif Thanks

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:17am
post #5 of 10

Because you are a beginner and it will get better with practice is my guess.

Find another icing recipe and another fondant recipe. Or better yet use the ready made until you are better skilled at using fondant and then make your own.

Practice makes perfect. We were all at the same spot you are at one time or another.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:26am
post #6 of 10

Agreed. I tried so many before I found an icing I loved. Then, I switched AGAIN. Its okay that you didn't like Deb's. Keep experimenting til you find yours.

Fondant: You're using too much PS. If the fondant is too sticky, try kneading some PS into the fondant (completely blending it) before rolling it out. Sprinkle a little of the counter top and roll. In hindsight, I remember using a ton of PS and going back over it with a paintbrush. I was in a Geraldine Randalsome class and her husband almost went crazy over the amount that I was using and insisted that I try less. Less worked great and there was soooo much less clean up after. Now I hardly ever have to go back over it to get off PS. Also, I buy my fondant. I just kept getting inconsistent results when I made it, so I buy Satin Ice from Global Sugar Art and love working with it.

I prefer Americolor color gels to Wilton. Also, color your fondant the day before and let it sit. The color deepens...

You already stated what happened with the gumpaste. The beauty of gumpaste is that it can stand being rolled really thin.

I promise this'll be funny to you in the future. <Hug>

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:57am
post #7 of 10

Yes, you can have IMBC under fondant.

Here are a few blogs I like to read because the clear explanations. Sugarsweetcakes, the first blog, has posts about making marshmallow fondant, and coloring it really red, as well as how to cover a cake with ganache under fondant, etc.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/06/mini-clutch-purse-cake-let.html

cakejournal.com

http://theplanetcakeapprentice.blogspot.com/

You're going to be just fine, don't give up!

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:41am
post #8 of 10

I used to use Wilton Color gels until I discovered Americolors. I no longer have issues w/coloring, even red, purple, and black. It's all trial and error... you have to figure out what works for you, recipes included. You will build your skill set as you figure out what you are comfy with. It's a little bit over whelming at first, but trust me in time it gets better!

Kailea Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:29pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much for all your wonderful comments on how to help me ~ After a good night sleep and fresh eyes and read all your comments this morning I'm now ready to try again.... Thank you so much for giving such great advice icon_smile.gif

Tomoore ~ Beautiful Profile pic *hugs back to you*

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 11:20pm
post #10 of 10

i've found that learning is a tough road. i now limit myself to only do 1 or 2 new-to-me techniques per cake ... that way if i screw it up it won't be totally disappointing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%