3D Rainbow Cake

Decorating By heathandhail Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 5:16pm by DeezTreatz

heathandhail Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:15am
post #1 of 5

Hi All!

I need some idea advice on how to decorate a 3D rainbow cake. I'm going to be cutting a 10 inch circle in halves and standing them together to make it look like a rainbow.

It's for a 1st birthday so I will not be using fondant, I'm trying to come up with a good technique to decorate the rainbow arches with buttercream and make it look as smooth as seamless as possible.....

any ideas??

4 replies
CakesbyCarla Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:24am
post #2 of 5

Could you do the rainbow in color flow? You could do it ahead of time, make it precise as can be and then put it on the cake after you frost it. Then embellish with buttercream clouds etc.

Just an idea...

CocoaBlondie Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:53am
post #3 of 5

you could do kinda of the same thing with a FBCT.

debster Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:25am
post #4 of 5

I did one on the care bear baby shower cake in my photos, I did fondant with gumpaste and shot it through the large clay gun let it set for a few days and stood it up. The first one I did I had to glue them to a cardboard backing cause it was rainy and the fondant would not set up. Give yourself plenty of time.

DeezTreatz Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 5

You can always pipe the colors of the rainbow with the star tip - use piping gel for your guideline.

First ice your cake with a crumcoat or normal layer of icing - then...

Get a print out of a rainbow - stencil it with parchement paper overtop of your rainbow using piping gel.

These directions are for a rainbow/piping gel:

Place this on your 3d rainbow cake and pipe your colors inbetween!

Example of how color flow was piped with the star tip (But yours will be 3d standing up)

Quote by @%username% on %date%