Cupcake Wedding Craze

Baking By cakelady2266 Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 7:52pm by FromScratchSF

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 4

I need some pricing help on cupcakes for weddings. Do you charge the same for them as you would wedding cake? Is the price more for them if they are for a wedding than if they were for a birthday or shower?

3 replies
BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:30am
post #2 of 4

Howdy!

I generally like to charge the same per serving even if it is labled "wedding". My opinion is, just because it contains the "w" word, doesn't mean that I generally charge more for it. (Unless of course, the design requested is on a higher price tier)

I charge 2.00 a cupcake, wedding, birthday, or just 'cuz. However if they're more detailed intricate cuppies (example, lots of fondant pieces) then the price increases. icon_smile.gif

So, 8 dozen would yield 96 servings X 2.00 a cupcake. As Indydebi puts it...Do the math icon_wink.gif

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 4

I do the same thing....I charge $2.50 per cupcake, that's with a swirl of buttercream and some sprinkles if they want. If there's any fondant pieces, or fancier embellishments, the price goes up per cupcake. I also up-charge for filling.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 4

The idea that a bride can save money by getting cupcakes can be misleading. I make organic gourmet cakes/cupcakes, so I tell my wedding cupcake clients that they are welcome to purchase my regular cupcakes in any quantity they want and pay the standard price, but it is no different then them walking into the bakery and ordering 12 dozen cupcakes to go. If they want any special decorations, fondant cut-outs, icing colors, or special wrappers it is an up-charge (based on what they want). I also charge a $50 delivery fee (wedding standard) with a $25 set-up to do the cupcake tower/table. It takes at least an hour to set it all up and make it look nice, especially if the client wants to have fresh flowers (provided by the florist) and candles on the table. I also do not provide the towers to rent, although some bakers do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%