Recipe Sharing With Locals

Decorating By breezer28 Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 1:21am by Betheigh

breezer28 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all!

I have a question about how you all feel about sharing your recipes.

I'm just getting myself established as a baker in the community, and a woman I work with (but don't know well at all) asked for the recipe of a cupcake I brought to a work event recently.

What is your personal policy about sharing your recipes? I don't mean online in a forum setting like this, but within your own community, when sharing a recipe could potentially cut back business to you.

This may seem like a no-brainer to some of you, but I'm genuinely torn as to what to do. I don't want to offend anyone, but I'd like to keep my recipes private, as it is a business for me. Is that the general feeling you all have as well?

I'd love to hear thoughts on the topic!

Thanks!

8 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 9

no, if you're in business, you don't share recipes with someone you work with.

Different scenario, same subject -

Several years go, I held a holiday-time book party with a company that offered giftware. The party was a huge success with the people in my office building. One of the women asked me for the name of the sales rep, saying she wanted to hold one of these parties for her family. I foolishly gave it to her.

The following year, I passed out flyers in the building, letting folks know I was bringing the catalogs in soon. People waited with baited breath. Two weeks before my party, this same woman brings in the same catalogs, from the same sales rep! Needless to say, she sold a lot more stuff that year than I did.

Nope, do not give your recipes to anyone near you. They might start their own cupcake company.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Babs1964 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 9

I had this very dilemma last week. I respectfully declined giving her the recipe by saying thanks for your interest but I'm trying to build a a few cake flavors I could offer people who want my cakes. But I did tell her where I bought flavorings and said that I hope she understood.
She replied that she did.

cownsj Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 9

I agree, and I'm a person who shares all kinds of recipes. When it comes to something of this nature where someone could use it to hurt your business, you just can't, and there is nothing wrong with explaining that to anyone.

Another thought to consider, and I'll give an example. I have a delicious cheesecake recipe that I share with anyone who wants it. Very easy to make, yet many people who have tried it tell me all the time it just doesn't come tasting the same as when I bake it. I tell you this because you could also run into a case of her using your recipe, not have it come out very good, and she is telling everyone how she used your recipe. You could have people staying away in droves because they don't like the recipe, without ever having tried it the way you bake it.

Betheigh Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 9

I'm just a regular ol' person - not in business or anything, but I would think twice before I handed out a recipe. Maybe that could be viewed as stingy, but there is competition in business and you want to make yourself as marketable and valuable as possible. Having special recipes, delicious goodies, etc. that no one else can produce can help with that.

costumeczar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 9

Whe you turn your recipes in to the health department you write "trade secret" on them for a reason icon_wink.gif

cakegirl1973 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 9

I agree with everyone that you should not share your recipes. Your business is your own unique product that you have worked hard to develop, including your recipes. If anyone asks me, I just tell them that it is my policy not to share recipes, and they are very understanding. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

VentureSister Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 9

I'll be honest I am very picky on whom I share my recipes with. I don't mind sharing on a forum like this, but with people in my area or extended family members- no.
My cousin who is learning to bake asked for a couple of my recipes that I typically use for family get-togethers. I shared and then she started bringing them to the events. icon_mad.gificon_cry.gificon_mad.gif
I try to avoid repeats of this.

Betheigh Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:21am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

I'll be honest I am very picky on whom I share my recipes with. I don't mind sharing on a forum like this, but with people in my area or extended family members- no.
My cousin who is learning to bake asked for a couple of my recipes that I typically use for family get-togethers. I shared and then she started bringing them to the events. icon_mad.gificon_cry.gificon_mad.gif
I try to avoid repeats of this.

I hear ya'. I have had similar experiences. Even with my sister - I asked her not to share my recipes with other folks, but I've noticed that she's done it a few times and I have asked her about it. She'll give some excuse like, 'well, it was just so-and-so,' - that doesn't matter to me! I don't care who it is, I don't want them to have my recipes.

I like the idea of 'family recipes' that can be passed down. Sure, I know that some folks have similar or the same recipes in their cookbooks and I doubt I have reinvented the wheel or anything, but there is just something special about having your 'own' special dish or dessert among your friends and family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%