American Girl Doll?

Lounge By MariaK38 Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 5:05pm by lis73

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 10

Hi! I'm thinking of purchasing an American Girl doll (one of the 18" ones) for my 5 1/2 y.o. daughter for Christmas this year. She already has a nice 17" Corolle baby doll, so I didn't want to get her another "baby."
Have any of you purchased these? Are they worth the price? My main concern is the hair. Dolls' hair that gets all frizzy and flies away drives me bonkers! Do AG dolls have this hair issue?
I'm also looking at Gotz dolls as they do cost a little less.
Any AG/Gotz buyers have any suggestions for me?

THanks! Maria

9 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:34am
post #2 of 10

My mom made my 3-yr-old an 18inch doll modeled after the AG dolls. She knits and crochets so she makes the clothes for it, etc...

Its hair is a mess. It's the "silky" kind, but it is one tangled nest right now. I tried to keep it braided but it didn't work. From what I've seen, it's the same kind of hair the AG dolls have.

Must be why the AG dolls have their own salon in Chicago.

paulina69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulina69 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:07am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

My mom made my 3-yr-old an 18inch doll modeled after the AG dolls. She knits and crochets so she makes the clothes for it, etc...

Its hair is a mess. It's the "silky" kind, but it is one tangled nest right now. I tried to keep it braided but it didn't work. From what I've seen, it's the same kind of hair the AG dolls have.

Even if you braid it just right after buying it, it still goes messy? Well, that's really a problem. icon_sad.gif

JadedJenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JadedJenn Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:18am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

We have one here in MN too. At the Mall of America. I see little girls carrying them around there all the time. It's so cute!

I think the real AG doll's hair might be of better quality than the "generic" ones. I had a AG like doll from Target (I wanted to try making clothes for it). I wasn't happy with the hair. When I took it out of it pre-existing style, I noticed there were huge gaps in the hair.

I've never owned an AG doll before, so I can't be sure, but their hair seems more like a Barbie doll. It's meant to be played with and styled.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 8:30am
post #5 of 10

My daughter has a Gotz doll and its hair is kinda frizzy and messy, after a few years of never having been combed or styled. We don't have any AG brand dolls so I can't compare. I think most little girls don't really care; it's the somewhat older ones who might be interested in styling the hair -- if they are still interested in dolls at all by that point! FWIW, I have heard that the best way to comb doll's hair is with a metal flea comb! We've been meaning to try it with my DD's Gotz doll but haven't gotten around to it.

MariaK38 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 10

that's good to know about the Gotz doll. Thanks!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 10

My DD has several American Girl dolls. The darn dolls had better wardrobes than we had. She was the only girl on my DH side of the family.

Anyway, the hair held up wonderfully. I am saving them for the grandchildren right now. But years of my daughter playing with them and they look brand new. She has the doll with the braids and she would take them out and braid it back up all the time. Her other two dolls have long hair and they look brand new also.

I also believe they have a service where they will make any repairs. At least they used to.

Well worth the investment for your daughter and then for her kids to enjoy too.

MariaK38 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 10

thank you! the hair issue was my biggest concern.

Maria

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 10

I know that three of my nieces have american girl dolls .. they have been sent back to go to the "beauty salon" icon_lol.gif How silly is that .. when I was a kid, if their hair looked bad, WE took care of it with scissors icon_wink.gif But anyways, yes, if their hair becomes a mess, send them off to the beauty parlor ..

lis73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lis73 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 10

My girls each have two of the dolls, for a total of 4! We have never had any problems with the hair. However, they have a friend who has the Kya doll, Native American. I have noticed that the texture of her hair is coarser than our 4. Hope that helps. Also, you can wet the dolls hair down with a spray bottle of water and comb from the ends to the scalp. Believe me, we have styled those dolls hair several times over!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%