Cheesesteak Cake??

Decorating By SSGirly Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 7:29pm by playingwithsugar

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 4

A friend has approached me to do a Cheesesteak Groom's cake. Does anyone have any thoughts on where to start with this one? Tips for making it look realistic, design ideas... anything? The wedding isnt until April, so I have some time to plan.

3 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 4

One idea is to make the 'bread' from white cake, slice and prep as if it were bread - colour the BC or fondant (whichever you're using) a light brown, etc.

Then, for the "Cheesesteak", you could use fondant - again, coloured as needed. Dark brown for the meat (don't forget the 'fat streaks') and orange (or white if it's Swiss) for the cheese, off-white for the onions, etc. Roll it out thin-ish (not too thin or you won't be able to handle it), cut it to match the food item it's representing and place it inside the 'bread' cake, drapping out like it would. Before you put the top slice of bread on, hit the cheese with a steamer. This will melt it a bit and give a shine to it as well.

Get a large food basket and put a red-white checked paper in it (if you can) - or a large cakeboard

Maybe add some sugar cookie 'fries' on the side and some 'ketchup' (red BC) in a small cup. (Cut them thinkly because they spread while baking.)

This actually sounds good. I'm feeling hungry now! icon_lol.gif

HTH!

Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 4

You should check out the one on Confetti cakes website

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 4

How big do they want this cake? If not too big, you can bake the roll and carve it from two football pan cakes.

For the meat, I would use a carved brownie as the base, to keep the fondant to a minimum.

Cheese - chocolate modelling paste, melted with the hair dryer. Or melted candy melts that are poured on.

Onions - vanilla tootsie rolls (wegman's sells them in their candy section) - they will soften in your hands or in the nuke for 3-5 seconds.

Peppers (you're from Jersey, you know they've gotta be there) - cut them out and shape them from fruit by the foot - the yellow and green ones.

Pickles - For my cheeseburger cake, I used these fruit snacks whose name escapes me, but they were a row of strings like fruit by the foot, on paper. I had to peel them off and re-shape them to make the pickle slices, but they looked really good when they were done.

Might as well make it all edible, right?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%