Fondant Decorations On Wires Sticking Out Of Cake Ideas

Decorating By Nikkiscakes5 Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 9:10pm by Nikkiscakes5

Nikkiscakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikkiscakes5 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 5

I've done a few cakes recently with fondant/gumpaste decorations, such as stars, sticking out of the cake on wires. The thing is that when I transport it, they tend to wobble a bit and cut the fondant a little. I'm always scared that they will slice down and fall. I'm wondering what others do about this... Do you assemble these at the location? I always take a picture of the completed cake before I leave so I need to place the wires in. Any suggestions or ideas??

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 5

Wires that aren't food-safe shouldn't be touching the cake. If you insert the wires into coffee stir sticks, the wires will be held into place and also won't be directly touching the cake.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 5

I use the coffee stir straws they are light weight and small, I also take the #1 or #2 tip and insert icing into the straws untill the icing starts to come out other end of the straw, then insert the straw in the cake where aI need it. I let sit for at leist 10-15 min to let the frosting set before putting in the wires .

I made several cakes that like yours they started to pull away from the cake and making a mess. The above technic works pretty good for me Much Much better results

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 5

You can put them on the cake (in a food safe way, of course), take your picture, remove them, transport the cake, and put them back on again on site.

Nikkiscakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikkiscakes5 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 5

I like the coffee straw idea. I'm definitely going to try it next time. Thanks so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%