Lego Cake?

Decorating By Sarah2418 Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 1:55am by abcangie87

Sarah2418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah2418 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 13

I'm doing a lego cake, how do I get the raised circles on top?

12 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 13

I haven't done one myself, but I would roll out fondant to the thickness I wanted and use one of my piping tips to cut out the circles.

You can also write to some of the cakers in here who have already done Lego cakes and ask how they did it. The one on here yesterday was done really well.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 13

I used large marshmallows cut in half & frosted in BC to match the bricks. They were a PITA to make.

I think fondant circles, cut thick are probably easier and if you cover the bricks in fondant you get a nice clean look.

good luck.
Kristy

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 13

I have done a Lego cake 'pyramid' style..and i used fondant..cut out to the thickness i want and used a circle cutter to cut the pegs...i think in the end i used the end of a straw for my circle as it was the best size...
hope this helps!

JPMitchell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPMitchell Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 13

You could possibly use Rice Krispys as well... Depending on the size you are making you could mold them in a cupcake pan, ice them along with the cake, and then cover all of it completely with fondant to get a smooth look.

cownsj Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 13

If you had the time, and inclination, you could make molds of actual lego's and use with fondant or candy melts and have them be exact replicas...... Just a thought.

IchigoChisou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IchigoChisou Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 13

About what cownsj said...you wouldn't have to make your mold, italready exists!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TOHYGU/?tag=cakecentral-20

It is just a Lego ice cube tray, but I use it with candy melts all the time to make little chocolate treats.

But for a large style cake...I would either use rice crispy treats or find yourself a round cutter and make like mini cakes and cover those in fondant separately.

zeljka82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zeljka82 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 13

definitely cut the circles just find good size tube or mold circle .... I done one lego check my photo

cownsj Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchigoChisou

About what cownsj said...you wouldn't have to make your mold, italready exists!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TOHYGU/?tag=cakecentral-20

It is just a Lego ice cube tray, but I use it with candy melts all the time to make little chocolate treats.

But for a large style cake...I would either use rice crispy treats or find yourself a round cutter and make like mini cakes and cover those in fondant separately.

Oh, how cool, that ice cube tray. That sure makes that part easier. Thanks for the info.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:00am
post #10 of 13

I just used thick fondant cut out with a circle cutter.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 8:20am
post #11 of 13

I've seen it done well using cookies, and using just fondant (rolled thick and cut into circles). I did one using the same cake as the base "brick" baked in a thin layer in a square pan and then cut out the circles using a biscuit cutter. (My son, whose birthday cake it was, did not want any fondant.)

You can also use marshmallows, cut in half and frosted -- if the proportions of your cake are right for that. Or a lot of people use cupcakes, but that is not ideal because of the slanted sides -- Lego studs have vertical sides.

If you use anything other than the fondant circles you'll have to frost it, and getting a smooth surface on those little circles can be a challenge. I did mine by putting each stud on a flower nail to frost, and then slid it into the freezer. The frozen studs could then be placed on the cake without messing up the surface.

I think it might work to use ganache or a poured fondant (like petit fours) as well, to cover the studs at the same time as the main brick part of the cake, but then the challenge is to get sharp corners. Rounded corners won't look quite like real Lego!

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 13

cupcakes, cut the top off and put it on upside down.

abcangie87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abcangie87 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 1:55am
post #13 of 13

i'm doing a lego cake this week and I found lego candy at this awesome nut/candy store we have here. They are pretty close to real-sized little lego bricks in assorted colors and they even stack together icon_smile.gif Good luck with yours!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%