Marbleizing Fondant

Decorating By Seyge Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm by cownsj

Seyge Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 3

My little sister is turning 10 soon and she asked me to make her cake for her and I was planning on marbleizing the fondant. Are there any tips or tricks I need to know? I checked out some tutorials via google and it looks simple but I feel like this is one of those projects I'm going to feel confident once I start and panic slightly as it progresses.

2 replies
tokazodo Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 3

I stumbled across this video a few months ago and thought it was pretty cool.
Just another view.

Hope this helps.

cownsj Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 3

Good video to get the basic idea of it. And he did point out the one thing I wanted to mention is that you do have 2 sides when you roll it out. Sometimes one side isn't what you like, but the other side is great. Rarely do both sides look great, though I have had that happen. I marbeized the fondant on the buzz lightyear cake I have in my photos.

I think you'll be more nervous starting, but relax as you go, not the other way around. You can just add dabs of color into your large fondant in different areas. You don't have to do equal amounts of color and you can do multiple colors. I added a much smaller amount of purple in the buzz cake, and love the effect.

Take just two small balls (that's not too much to use for practice), and play with it and try it out, get comfortable with the technique before you do it for the entire cake. You'll have fun with it.

(Edited because that cake seems to be gone from my photos) But here is a link to see it. I have several views of the cake in there and you can get an idea of how the marlbeing looks from all those angles. Hope it helps.¤t=Buzz1.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%