3D Standing People!!!

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 27 Nov 2010 , 12:52am by ginger6361

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:42am
post #1 of 16

Why is it so hard to find any videos or detailed books, on how to modle standing people out of gumpast?? All of the ones I have found, are either sitting, laying, whatever..but not standing!! I would love for some to tell me where to find one...thanks

15 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:15am
post #2 of 16

I wonder if it's because it would follow the same logic for a laying down person, you'd just stick a long kebab stick through it to make them stand up?

ginger6361 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:25am
post #3 of 16

I wish it were that easy. Any maybe it is if I were doing it right. But it hasn't yet. I tried dowels, sticks, toothpicks, the gumpastw/fondant, just falls off.

cakesbybeccam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybeccam Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:50am
post #4 of 16

I just put kebab sticks in the legs.

cakesbybeccam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybeccam Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:51am
post #5 of 16

I just put kebab sticks in the legs.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:01am
post #6 of 16

Have you tried inserting a lollipop stick (cut to size) through the figurine, diagonally through one of the legs? I'm thinking that a dowel would be too thick and that a toothpick may not be strong enough of a support. HTH!

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:04am
post #7 of 16

maybe you just need to wait for it to harden a little first. I made a scarecrow out of fondant with some tylose added and used a skewer to stand it up on my cake. It was very sturdy. Of course since it was a scarecrow, I wanted the skewer to show, but it would have been easy enough to hide it and stick it further down into the cake.

Come to think of it, I also made a standing up mario and that's exactly how I did it.

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:32am
post #8 of 16

I have the same exact problem! i was asked and committed to a baby shower cake and was told it was a prego figure on the cake. Lesson learned: ask more ?s. I said yes and the example pic comes via text and it's a standing woman.... I am on panic mode. And to top it off they got the picture from Pink Cake Box so they are expecting super high quality. I feel like I committed to more than I can handle. I am gonna try a practice figure w/a skewer and hopefully it works.

donviper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donviper Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:58am
post #9 of 16

I too have been having a hard time finding videos on this. I just made a Wizard of Oz cake for my daughters party, and the characters.....well lets just say I had to make some sacrifices. I'm not good at this stuff yet, lol.

I tried modeling chocolate, but the recipe we used....the modeling chocolate just wouldn't stay hard enough for the characters to stand on their own.

So we settled for rice krispy characters covered in fondant. They too still didn't want to stand so nicely with toothpicks in their legs, and they were short stubby characters.

if anyone has a video, or knows where I can buy a video DVD on making characters with modeling chocolate/gumpaste/fondant, please let me know.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:59am
post #10 of 16

What I have figured out so far, as I am not an expert on this is:
Give the figure plenty of time to dry
Make the figure as light as possible
Check it for stability while you can still adjust the angles of feet, legs, torso, etc....
Insert skewer/lollipop stick/dowel into it before it dries
One of the above into each leg tends to work better than just one in one leg
Dry it standing in the position needed (sticking the skewer into a block of foam has worked for me0 or dry on a bed of flour/cornstarch/powdered sugar to keep the back from flattening.
If possible, don't put it on the cake until the cake is at its final destination and set down in its final place.

Hopefully, my hard learned lessons will help you.

laurenboxall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurenboxall Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:36am
post #11 of 16

If you don't need them to be edible you can put a foam ball in the head to make them lots lighter.
The key definetly is lots of drying time - I learnt that the hard way.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:17am
post #12 of 16

OK, I just checked marzipan magic, and it says: stand the body upright and push a piece of dry spaghetti down through the neck, leaving 3cm showing at the top".

However in another book, there is an animal standing up like a human, and it says:
push spaghetti through the body leaving 2cm showing at the top, and push a short piece into the hip (I think they mean as if it was a barbie doll, sort of on the side if the body were shaped like a doll with no legs). Shape the legs, then push a piece of spaghetti down through the centre of each leg, leaving a little showing at the end of the leg, but not the top. Add the shoes. Attach the legs at the hip.

Yet another part of that same book has a human, and it says:
Make legs, push a length of spaghetti through the centre of each leg leaving 2cm showing, apply some glue and push the legs and spaghetti into the shoes. Make the body, then push spaghetti down through the neck and out at the other end. It also says to use some spaghetti to attach each boob! Ensure that the arm is resting on the body for support, so that you can push spaghetti down from teh wrist through the elbow and anchor it at the hip.

Hope that helps!

ginger6361 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 12:19am
post #13 of 16

Thanks to all of you for your advise!! I will try them all to see what works..

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 12:38am
post #14 of 16

I put skewers through each of the legs and stick it into styrofoam. Put a short piece of toothpick into the legs that sticks up into the torso. Let dry a bit.

Add the torso and arms. Put a skewer into the neck that will go up through the head. Add head. Let dry before adding hair.

Btw, aine2 (extra icing on the cake) has a tutorial for a standing Victorian Lady.

ginger6361 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 12:52am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tguegirl

I put skewers through each of the legs and stick it into styrofoam. Put a short piece of toothpick into the legs that sticks up into the torso. Let dry a bit.

Add the torso and arms. Put a skewer into the neck that will go up through the head. Add head. Let dry before adding hair.

Btw, aine2 (extra icing on the cake) has a tutorial for a standing Victorian Lady.

The Victorian Lady does not have standing leggs. Thanls for your info though on doing them.

ginger6361 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 12:52am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tguegirl

The Victorian Lady does not have standing leggs. Thanls for your info though on doing them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%