Making Vanilla With Vanilla Beans

Baking By Normita Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 9:48am by fairmaiden0101

Normita Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:39am
post #1 of 13

I have bought some vanilla beans and was wondering how to make my own vanilla??

Thanks icon_smile.gif

12 replies
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:10am
post #2 of 13

My mother and grandmothers always steeped them in a quart of vodka for a few months. I'm sure a liter wouldn't make a big difference. I remember my Grandmother never removing beans, but adding another once in awhile with more vodka. Dark cupboard was involved.

I guarantee they didn't do it in good Vodka.

I think they decided it was good enough when the color looked good. It might of smelled good as well.

Another thing they always did, was when they had to steep the beans in something. They rinsed, dried them and then stuck them in sugar so we always had vanilla sugar. This was a big deal, only could use that sugar for baking.

HTH

Smokey5266 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:12am
post #3 of 13

Heres how I do it.

Use a sharp paring knife to cut lengthwise down the center of the vanilla beans, leaving about an inch at the top of the vanilla bean uncut.

Put the vanilla beans in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. I used mason jars.

Cover the beans completely with alcohol. Its three vanilla beans per cup of alcohol, so if you use 2 cups of vodka split open six vanilla beans and throw them in the jar.

Tightly cover the jar and give it a good shake. Store in a cool dry place for two months. Give the bottle a good shake every week or so, just so you dont forget all about it.

It's awesome vanilla!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:19am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey5266

Heres how I do it.

Use a sharp paring knife to cut lengthwise down the center of the vanilla beans, leaving about an inch at the top of the vanilla bean uncut.

Put the vanilla beans in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. I used mason jars.

Cover the beans completely with alcohol. Its three vanilla beans per cup of alcohol, so if you use 2 cups of vodka split open six vanilla beans and throw them in the jar.

Tightly cover the jar and give it a good shake. Store in a cool dry place for two months. Give the bottle a good shake every week or so, just so you dont forget all about it.

It's awesome vanilla!

Thank you Smokey5266! That's exactly how they did it! Just couldn't remember the bean to alcohol ratio.

You've made my day!

Normita, great question and post!

pianocat Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:32am
post #5 of 13

I use Ina Gartens recipe which is 12 vanilla beans (or more) to a bottle of vodka. Then let it sit in a dark place, and as said before shake the bottle occassionally. After 6-8wks it is ready to use.

Loucinda Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:08am
post #6 of 13

I am odd one out here. I stuff the bottle - I buy grade B vanilla beans on ebay, split them and put about 30 of them in a fifth of vodka. I let it steep the same - dark cupboard, shake it every 2 or 3 days for a couple of months. The best vanilla you'll find anywhere!

Normita Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:33am
post #7 of 13

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

Seems like I have to go buy some more beans as I only have about 4. What kind of vodka can I use??

What are mason jars?

cathyscakes Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 7:04am
post #8 of 13

Mason jars are just canning jars with lids

Children Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 8:07am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I am odd one out here. I stuff the bottle - I buy grade B vanilla beans on ebay, split them and put about 30 of them in a fifth of vodka. I let it steep the same - dark cupboard, shake it every 2 or 3 days for a couple of months. The best vanilla you'll find anywhere!

I cannot wait to make my own vanilla, but I have a question. Is there a certain reason you use only grade B vanilla beans? I just looked on ebay and there were several kinds...so I was just curious as to why you liked that grade the best.

cathyscakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:12am
post #10 of 13

I think the poster only meant grade b vanilla beans, because they are cheaper. You don't need the best quality for making vanilla.

Cocobongo Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:18am
post #11 of 13

So is this the same sort of strength as vanilla extract and can be used in your cake batter ingredients? Never thought of making it myself but this sounds great icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:33am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobongo

So is this the same sort of strength as vanilla extract and can be used in your cake batter ingredients? Never thought of making it myself but this sounds great icon_smile.gif

It sure is - best to leave it in the bottom of your cupboard/pantry for at least 3 months - 4-5 is even better.

Bluehue

fairmaiden0101 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:48am
post #13 of 13

Is there a way to sweeten it up a bit, I know the commercial ones have sugar don't they?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%