Weird, But True And Kinda Neat

Decorating By 3GCakes Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 4:55pm by blueirus

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:30am
post #1 of 12

My 10-year-old son had eye surgery this past Weds. (He's doing great, thanks)

They asked him what "scent" he wanted to breathe for the anesthesia and he said "cherry"....cool.

Well, my husband and I got to walk him back to the room where he goes to sleep. The anesthesiaologist (sp) had several bottles that were plain, squeeze-type bottles for different scents. They weren't factory-made or anything, just had some computer-printed label on them for the different "scents" they use for the anesthesia.

Lo and behold...they all said "Lorann oil, cherry" or "Lorann oil, coconut"....

I was very nervous about this surgery, but seeing that seemed to distract me a bit...it was kinda neat! I even remarked about it to my husband.

It's the weirdest things, sometimes.

11 replies
blueirus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueirus Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:45am
post #2 of 12

I am so glad he is doing well. I think it is super cool that they can add scent to the "stuff". My son is probably going to have to have the eye surgery as well. It is scary but nice that they have the technology. Hope he recuperates quickly!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:47am
post #3 of 12

My daughter is having spinal surgery in December, so I'll tell her about that. Maybe they'll give her a choice, but she might be so out of it she won't notice!

3GCakes Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:59am
post #4 of 12

It's never easy...that's for sure! This was my son's 6th surgery but the one I was most nervous about! (He has an eye disease that detiorates the retinas) and they thought his retina detached again....come to find out later it didn't, it was a hemorrhaged blood vessel! (Praise God!)

At Cincinnati Children's, they give them "laughing gas" first, to relax them, and then the anesthesia "mask". The anesthesiologist, once the "good" smell starts to dissipate, tells them they are getting "rocket fuel".

They really have it all down to a science, behaviorally and psychologically.

My son was cool as a cucumber....I was a freakazoid.

kaciealexa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaciealexa Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:00am
post #5 of 12

i work in surgery, at my hospital, we just use scented avon chapstick...

3GCakes Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:04am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaciealexa

How do they get it into the tube? At our hospital, they put it on a cotton ball.

I've always dislike "Skin so Soft" because it smells like melted chap stick.

3GCakes Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:06am
post #7 of 12

Blueiris and Costumeczar,

how old are your kids? It may depend on if they "need" it or not.

Some kids refuse it because they feel they don't "need" it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:17am
post #8 of 12

My daughter's 12, so she probably won't feel like she needs it icon_razz.gif

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:18am
post #9 of 12

I am glad your son is doing good. When my son had surgery 4 years ago he had the option of choosing a scent as well. It helped him to relax and I was thankful they had that.

3GCakes Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:22am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

My daughter's 12, so she probably won't feel like she needs it icon_razz.gif

Yeah, she's getting of "that age". Ask her if she likes the smell of "rocket fuel".

The anesthesialogist said some people say it smells like gasoline, others say it smells like chicken!

I've never had to have it, so I don't really know, though you CAN smell it on them when they are done. It is very distinct.

I always thought if he had a bad experience with it that he wouldn't like "that" smell anymore (like cherries) but he still likes cherries.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:32am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaciealexa

How do they get it into the tube? At our hospital, they put it on a cotton ball.

I've always dislike "Skin so Soft" because it smells like melted chap stick.

Ahh yes, I remember those days. I would sit in the pediatric dental office scared to death. Until the scented nitrous gas was put on. I found out later in life, They rubbed chapstick in to nitrous nose piece.

blueirus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueirus Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 12

My son is 5 years old and we are really hoping he doesn't "try" to be a big boy and just takes the scent. I really hope he doesn't end up having to do the surgery, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%