$50 To Spend On Cake Decorating Goodies! Need Help :)

Decorating By HappyCake10609 Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm by playingwithsugar

HappyCake10609 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 12

I am a SAHM and hobby decorator, so I don't often get to buy cool new cake stuff... but my birthday was last week and I have a $50 Amex gift card to burn through (my husband made me promise not to spend it on him or the kids)....

There are so many things I would like, I'm over whelmed. I would like to learn to make some gumpaste flowers, I'd like some modeling tools and cutters....

So, my question is... What is your favorite, most used, most valuable decorating tool? What would you recommend for someone just starting out and building their supplies?

11 replies
cabecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 12

Oh...I don't think I can help, because all the things I would really like are more then $50.00. That being said, and with not knowing what you already have...cutters...It's hard to make decorations without them. Unless you can afford to buy a cricut (That's on my wish list, but won't be happening any time soon). If you don't already own some, I'd invest in maybe some circles, diamonds, stars, etc. Or some stencils. Oh there are so many toys and so little money. My advice is to sit down and think about what makes your hobby a chore and go from there. Oh, and a turntable is a must.

Balusekc Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 12

If you live near a Michael's you can register with them online and they will send you coupons for 40% or 50% off nonsale items. That is how I "stock" up on my supplies. It will make your $50 go farther. They have a lot of wilton supplies, and they have a gumpaste flower kit too.

cupcake_cutie Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 12

Definitely cutters!

cabecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 12

Balusekc, love this idea, but the closest Michaels to me is about an hours drive away. With the prices of gas it kinda defeats the purpose of a coupon. Maybe I will look into shopping online if the shipping isn't to killer.

cabecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 12

Michaels, right now, has a printable coupon that is good for up to 45% off any one regular item, but it is only good until tomorrow.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 12

Definately my letter cutters, love them and use them all the time!

cabecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 12

Good choice Sugar Fairy.

cabecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 12

Good choice Sugar Fairy.

Emmar308 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 12

I love my embossed plunger cutters - fab!

HappyCake10609 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks everyone! I do have some basic supplies (turntable, smoother, "basic" shape cutters)... I don't have any letter cutters yet though, I think maybe it's time to invest in a set! I'll have to figure out some other cutters to get, maybe the Wilton gumpaste flower kit at Michael's, thanks for the heads-up on the coupon!

Do you think the Wilton gumpaste tool kit is worth the $$? I've been eying it, but not sure if I would ever use all the tools! I've been using some cheap plastic clay tools, but they have a seam that gets in the way!

playingwithsugar Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 12

www.cakedeco.com has a $50 minimum, but has some metal cutters that are inexpensive, not great, but good enough for a beginner. It's a great website, you'll want one of each, and the only time I ever had a problem with their product, they made good on it right away.

If you are going to do gumpaste flowers, go for a universal-type of veiner, that can be used with several types of flowers. Get one that works that way for leaves, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%