Family N Business... Not Good! Just Need To Vent.

Decorating By sugarlovemom Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 1:59am by sugarlovemom

sugarlovemom Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, so last tuesday my cousin called me to ask me to make a cake for her daugher birthday and a friend ( a guy) for that coming saturday. they were gonna celebrate it on the same party so she wanted a cake half face of a woman and the other half face of a man.... (???) she had any kind of weird, ugly n kinda impossible ideas for this cake... im sorry but i try not to make ugly cakes! so, i gave her a few 2 tier cake ideas, very cute... and even told her to research about the guy favorite things, because i already know her daugher taste... she asked me how much and since is family i was silly enough to tell her i would only charge her for the ingredients n it'll be about $25 to $30. she was happy w that ( of course).
most of the week passed by ,called her couple of times and she didn't researched about the guy's favorite things (so i could add and extra nice detail ) .. so i sat down, designed the cake, baked it and since it was for saturday, started to work very early friday decorating it. she texted me friday: SHE WANTS ME TO DO A MACK TRUCK CAKE for the guy???!!!! are you kidding me???? cake was already half way done. so i made a litlle truck and incorporated to it... people in the party went nuts about the cake... of course she had told everyone she bought it from me! wich should be more like i donated it to her because i haven't seen a penny... and is not about the $30 .. but she knows how much time i put into this... and me n my DH just moved to this town and our finances are kinda low alarming right now... i didn't even received a thank you ffrom her... im mad because i would never take advantage of anybody like that... she is this kind of people that loves to pretend they have a lot but actually dont have anything... so be honest you know.. i could have done it as a gift but ask for it... just dont fool me like that.
sorry!! needed to let this out!!! thanks for reading!

10 replies
sugarlovemom Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 11

trying to attach a pic of the cake... if i dont succed you can see it on my gallery....

sari66 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 11

First off family and business don't mix as you found out, second never not for anyone make a cake without being paid first! Lastly if you're running a business get paid what you're worth even with family, if they ask for a cake tell them how much it will cost then you decide if you want to offer a discount or make it for cost and let them know no money no cake!
Good luck and the cake was very nice icon_smile.gif

caymancake Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 11

I agree 100% Your cousin got the STEAL OF THE CENTURY! That cake is amazing - I don't think she would ever get that for $30 anywhere else. I wouldn't have given her the cake without paying you for it...but I would definitely remind her, that you need to be paid for the cake TODAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sari66

First off family and business don't mix as you found out, second never not for anyone make a cake without being paid first! Lastly if you're running a business get paid what you're worth even with family, if they ask for a cake tell them how much it will cost then you decide if you want to offer a discount or make it for cost and let them know no money no cake!
Good luck and the cake was very nice icon_smile.gif

Classycakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 11

If you both agreed on a price, then you need to collect your fee regardless if it is family or not - that's only fair. Take a proactive approach rather than leaving it up to her. I would send her an email saying something along the lines "it was a lovely party", so glad your guests enjoyed the cake..... AND attached is the invoice for $30. On the invoice, I would show the normal price of the cake, show the discount you gave her and then her total, similar to below:

$150 - two tier birthday cake (include details)
-120 - your discount
$30 - amount owing

then I would add, "what time on Saturday(?) should I pick it up?"

You might also want to keep in mind that free (or almost free) cake will attract requests from both her and other family members which could be a pain in your butt, taking up your time and resources. Payment up front should be a definite rule but just as important, you need to decide if this is something you want to start. It's harder to give it up once they come to expect it! You might need to come up with plan that's more fair to you - like 20% family discount or whatever you are comfortable with.

All the best!

cabecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 11

I think Classycakes has the right idea. One of my step-daughters was very good at volunteering me to make cakes for her family and friends, which I didn't mind so much because she would pay me for the ingredients, but at the same time it got to be very time-demanding. I do this as a hobby, and I like to do it on my time (not when it is at someone else's convenience. I work full-time. Finally I just had to tell that if she wanted anymore cakes she would have to ask me first before offering to friends. She was kind of hurt, because she thought I wanted the practice and that was the only reason she'd offered in the first place. But she had been very good about it since. Sometimes family don't see the full scope. She didn't live with me, so she didn't see how much work went into it. She was really shocked when I told her how long some of the cakes took.

indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 11

stories like this make me appreciate my family who never assumes it's free, who always offers to pay and who are very appreciative. I am so sorry you went thru this.

Cakegirl313 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 11

I agree that if she said she would pay for the ingredients you should ATLEAST be paid that. I have been a sucker for years, giving away my cakes as presents. I have even been volunteered withouth me knowing it. I have informed the family that my nieces's first birthday cake will be the last "free" one. Practice or not, I can't keep giving them away. good luck!

cownsj Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 12:59am
post #9 of 11

I'm sorry for this whole situation for you. But I've gotta say, I love that truck breaking out from the cake. And for a last minute addition to make, GREAT JOB. I just think it looks wonderful.

CocoaBlondie Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:31am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

stories like this make me appreciate my family who never assumes it's free, who always offers to pay and who are very appreciative. I am so sorry you went thru this.

Same here. Sorry to hear about this. Your cake was amazing.

sugarlovemom Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:59am
post #11 of 11

thank you all!!! this site and you all are the best thing a baker can have!!! thanks so much! i will email her, i had enough of her abuses! im 8 months pregnant and she knows how many hours I dedicated to that cake even though is not a big cake... but still... instead of being here learning and sharing with you all i was there standing 8 hours with my huge belly and if that is not enough for her to have some respect for me.. its enough for me to teach her to have some respect for others work! THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%