12" Square Novice

Baking By medjos Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 5:35pm by medjos

medjos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medjos Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 4

Needing advice on batter quantity and cooking Temp and time for a 12" square (standard mix augmented with buttermilk). Thank you! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 4

I'm a cake mix baker. I use two Betty Crocker cake mixes for a 12" square. bake at 325. I don't use flower nails or heating cores but I do use baking strips. can't tell you how long to bake it because I bake "until it's done".

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 4

Medjos, this is what I do, but I'm by no means a professional. I grease my pans and line with parchment paper. Keep the parchment about 1 to 1-1/2 inches above the sides of the pan. Fill the pans to about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full with a flower nail in the center (be sure to spray the flower nail with pam). Wilton says 10 cups of batter, I use slightly more (this is about 2 cake mixes). They say bake at 350, but I reduce the heat to about 325. They say baking time is 40-45 minutes, I bake longer (about 50-60 minutes). But like Indydebi, I just bake it until it's done. I insert a toothpick in the center, when it comes out clean...it's done. Then I let cool for about 10 minutes while still in the pan and then flip to a cooling rack (Make sure you rack will accomodate that size first). If your cake has a dome, you may want to flip it back over to keep the dome from cracking your cake (if the cake rests on the dome it puts a lot of pressure on the center of the cake). Hope this helps, but like I said, I'm by no means a professional.

medjos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medjos Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 4

I appreciate both of your replies very much! Sounds like the lower temp and two mixes is consistent. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%