Making A Bow

Decorating By michellem79 Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 2:17am by icer101

michellem79 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:13am
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone! I am really new to caking and today I got my first big cake order. It is for a quinceanera, so basically it looks a wedding cake! She wants me to do a bow on the second tier (of 3) and have it drape down over the first tier. My first problem is that I have never made a bow before. Does anyone have any great tutorials for me to check out? Second is kind of an assembly question. I will be traveling with the cake unassembled and will stack them when I get to the venue. Should I bring a dowel for the center and put it in after stacking the cakes? Or do I skip this step since I won't be traveling with it stacked? How do I handle putting the bow on since essentially it will be on two tiers of the cake? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I know that everyone here is great at helping each other out!
Here is a link of a picture posted on this site that I am using as inspiration, so you can see what I am hoping to achieve. The only difference is that I will also have a ribbon going around the cake and behind the bow. Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=627623

5 replies
brincess_b Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 9:57am
post #2 of 6

i dont have the links to tutorials handy - but for that kind of bow, its not difficult. im sure someone else will post one for you icon_smile.gif

you wont need a centre dowel. but i would have the supporting dowels already in the bottom cake.

if you dry the bow on a similar shaped surface, then it would sit nicely on the cake, and you can dry it with a bit of shape, use clingfilm to add movement to the ribbon.
xx

bakingatthebeach Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 6

go to youtube and type in how to make a gumpaste bow. Edna made this and I use it for my fondant bows. Very easy. If it doesnt come up, type in tonedna1 and her videos will come up.

michellem79 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:23am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the help guys! I actually did see Edna's tutorial, I love her! thumbs_up.gif
What I do need though is more help on how to actually attach it. After it's dry and I am ready to put it on the cake, how do I get it to stay on with out it falling off? Also, since each tier is going to be boxed separately for transport, do I attach the actual bow to the second tier and then add the "tails" to it after assembling the cake on site? And with what? These may seem like silly questions, but I'm a beginner! icon_redface.gif I love this site for all of the helpful people though!

tonedna Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:53am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellem79

Thanks for the help guys! I actually did see Edna's tutorial, I love her! thumbs_up.gif
What I do need though is more help on how to actually attach it. After it's dry and I am ready to put it on the cake, how do I get it to stay on with out it falling off? Also, since each tier is going to be boxed separately for transport, do I attach the actual bow to the second tier and then add the "tails" to it after assembling the cake on site? And with what? These may seem like silly questions, but I'm a beginner! icon_redface.gif I love this site for all of the helpful people though!

They are not silly questions.. icon_lol.gif
I usually dont let my bows dry. I attach them while they are still pliable'
The tails are put first, added with a dab of buttercream or royal icing.
I put a dab of buttercream or royal icing on the back of the center of the bow and both loops. Place it where it goes and put 2 toothpicks through the sides of the center in an area where they wont be seen.
I leave the wax paper rolls until it dries on the loops. And the cake moves well all finished. But if you feel uncomfortable, you can do it after you delivered the cake..

Hope this helps
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:17am
post #6 of 6

Hi , this can also help you out. You can also attach them with melted chocolate. hth

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-gum-paste-bow

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%