Red Velvet Wasc Confusion?!

Baking By TammyRiley Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 3:58am by dpdavis

TammyRiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyRiley Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:52am
post #1 of 13

I have read lots of posts about the Red Velvet WASC question. I have an order for a red velvet two tiered cake next week. I was going to use the WASC recipe and substitute the white mix for red vevlet mix. Has anyone tried this recipe or are people using this recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7461/easy-red-velvet Wouldn't red velvet cake mix work? Thank you for your help!

Tammy

12 replies
caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 4:12am
post #2 of 13

Okay so it's so ironic that you asked this question because I totally tried doing a Red Velvet WASC this week for a coworker's birthday and it came out AMAZING!

This is what I did:
1 box of red velvet cake mix
1 C flour
1 C white sugar
1 3.4 oz box of instant chocolate pudding
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp salt
Oil (as specified on the box)
1 C sour cream
1 1/3 C water
4 eggs

Put all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, and mix well. Bake in prepared pans at 325 until done (I start checking at 30 mins).

I usually make my red velvet from scratch, so I figured making it this way might give me a great quickie recipe for when I don't have time to do a scratch...this one came out soooo good, that now I'm not sure that my scratch recipe is good enough any more. I'm doing another one this weekend because it was sooo DELISH!

I hope that helps!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:26am
post #3 of 13

I use DH Red Velvet to make a WASC version. It comes out great and yields lots of batter--at least 15 cups/recipe.

2 boxes of DH red velvet cake mix
2 C flour
2 C white sugar
2 3.4 oz boxes of instant white chocolate pudding--NOT SUGAR FREE
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp. chocolate extract
4 TBSP veg. oil
16 oz. sour cream
2 2/3 C water
6 eggs

Put all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, and mix well. Add wet ingredients and mix for 30 seconds on low speed. Bake in prepared pans at 325 until done.

I use inverted flower nails as heating cores--1 in an 8" or 10", 2 or 3 in a 12", 3 or 4 in a 14".

Rae

TammyRiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyRiley Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 13

thank you caymancake and BlakesCakes! Your recipes are quite similar, with the one glaring difference of the chocolate vs. white pudding mix. I am heading to the grocery store and am tossed what kind of pudding to get. Thank you again for your replies .... it is VERY helpful! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Tammy

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 13

Blakescakes...why not "sugar free" pudding? And why do u prefer white chocolate instead of regular chocolate?

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 13

I tried RV using chocolate pudding, then white chocolate pudding and regular chocolate was the hands down winner

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 13

I'm glad this is posted today. I made a RV cake from scratch yesterday to use for cake balls and when I rolled them I thought they were an oily mess. The cake is delicious--made it many times, but for cake balls?? NooooooO!!!!! I'm going to try this! Thanks!

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 13

I was looking forthis earlier this week!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 13

I got it! Use one of each. icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Blakescakes...why not "sugar free" pudding? And why do u prefer white chocolate instead of regular chocolate?

2 reasons for no sugar free:

some people have adverse reactions to artificial sweeteners and since the cake wouldn't be sugar free, it would be difficult to "notify" those people of the presence of the ingredient

I find that artificial sweeteners can create funny textures in cakes

I don't use regular chocolate pudding because I don't want my Red Velvet cake to be a red chocolate cake. Scratch Red Velvet only uses a small amount of cocoa to react with the vinegar in the recipe to develop some natural red color in the batter. The cocoa isn't there to create a chocolate flavor.

I find that with the white chocolate pudding, the taste is distinctive and subtle and won't be mistaken for "chocolate cake".

Rae

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:08am
post #11 of 13

it wasn't about chocolate flavor at all to me, the one with white choc pudding was too sweet IMO, regular chocolate was just right

BlakesCakes Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:42am
post #12 of 13

Yeah, everyone's taste buds are different.

I absolutley don't find this cake to be overly sweet with the white chocolate pudding mix in it.

Because I use the DH RV mix, I add the pudding mix more to increase density, rather than affect the flavor.

I find the white chocolate to be very neutral when used in any cake mix (I do a pink velvet with it using white cake and pink food coloring).

Rae

dpdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpdavis Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:58am
post #13 of 13

I have used the Perfect Red Velvet Cake recipe several times and gotten rave reviews on it. It has a distinct chocolate flavor to it since it has chocolate pudding, cocoa and melted chocolate but it is wonderful!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16440/perfect-red-velvet

Just did a cake yesterday with this and the customer e-mailed back that the cake was "to die for!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%