Help Quick My Bc Is Melting!

Decorating By sweet56pooh Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 3:44pm by sweet56pooh

sweet56pooh Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:11am
post #1 of 6

Help please! I'm trying to decorate my cake and it's just melting away! I used a half butter half crisco BC as my crumb coat. I stuck the cake in the refrigerator to help it crust over. I brought it out to let it come back to room temperature and proceeded to cover with MMF. The BC was a little wet looking, but I covered the cake anyways and the MMF started to sag. The BC was oozing out at the bottom. I took the MMF off and scraped off the BC. It was liquified. I don't know what to do? Do I let the cake dry out a little and make a new batch of BC and MMF? Please help!! TIA!!

5 replies
leah_s Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:15am
post #2 of 6

Since your profile doesn't include a city we can't speculate on how hot it is wherever you are.

However, you've answered your own question. If the half butter half crisco bc is melting, then yes, you need to remake the bc with all Crisco.

sweet56pooh Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:19am
post #3 of 6

I live in Honolulu, Hawaii and it's quite hot right now. So a all crisco bc then. Thanks! Gotta get started.

sweet56pooh Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:00am
post #4 of 6

Ugh! My second batch of BC is better, but my fondant doesn't want to stay on. Something is not right. This never happened before... I think I'm going to start from the very beginning, rebake the cake.

cheatize Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 6

I think perhaps putting the cake in the fridge is making the cake condense when you take it out. When you apply the fondant, does the buttercream look wetter than before you put it in the fridge?

sweet56pooh Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 6

Yes it did, but I had leftover BC from the first batch. I left the container out while all this was happening and it turned into soup. The fondant was pulling off the cake. I lifted the cake up to move it and one side just slid off, taking a chunk of cake with it. It was horrible. I just rebaked some cake and going to decorate it all in BC. It feels like my whole day was wasted...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%