Now What..... What Do I Do Now?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 1:17pm by icer101

KayMc Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:30am
post #1 of 6

Ok, I had a total melt-down cake disaster yesterday. Screwed up and used 8" pans instead of 10" pans, so the batter ran over the pans, burned to a crisp on the bottom of the oven, and turned my house into a smokey mess. Threw it all out and baked the same cake tonight (Epicurious chocolate cake). I've made it before, and this didn't happen, but tonight, I had the cooled layers on the racks, and decided to wrap them up to freeze. It was a disaster! The layer was so soft it broke in half. I always wrap my warm/hot cakes and then freeze them, and never have a problem. That's WASC, though. Has anyone else ever had this problem w/ the double choc Epicurious cake? I managed to get the layers back into each cake pan, but I'm wondering if they'll get soggy now while cooling. What shall I do?

5 replies
leah_s Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:25am
post #2 of 6

I haven't made that recipe, but honestly it sounds like they weren't quite baked enough.

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:45am
post #3 of 6

Either they weren't baked long enough or moving them while warm caused them to split. I ALWAYS cool my cakes to room temperature on a rack and then wrap and freeze. My cakes have always been moist and delicious. I have never been a fan of the wrap hot, then freeze method. It can do funky things to the food in your freezer (if you have any in there), and it just doesn't seem sanitary to me. I don't have a separate freezer for cakes only, so I have to make do with what I have.

Try to bake your recipe again, and then wrap it when it's cool.

indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:55am
post #4 of 6

slide a cardboard under the cake before wrapping it. I do this with my larger ones.

Karen421 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 6

I always freeze while the cakes are warm, the only time I have a problem is if it is a recipe, like WASC or Mud cake or my white chocolate cake. With these I bake about 15 minutes longer - put a piece of wax paper on top, when they come out of the oven - and wait until they are cooler, (not cold) to wrap and freeze. I do have to keep the bottom supported with cardboard and flip gently. Good Luck!

icer101 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 6

i bake this recipe (the epicuous chocolate ) a lot. I let my cake cool in the pan about 10 min. . I then put a cake board same size of the pan and turn my cake out on the board. i then let cool more before i wrap to freeze. I have never had one to break into. I alway turn my cakes out on same size board as cake pan. Good luck with the next one. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%