How Many Recipes For A 9 X 13?

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 11:38am by indydebi

Maria925 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:02am
post #1 of 3

I made a 9 x 13 and I told my friend it would be about 24 servings. Well I made 2 batches of cake, so (2) 9 x 13s and then stacked them. This thing looks pretty huge now! It's just over 3 inches tall. I'm thinking this is going to give them waaaay more than 24 servings, maybe almost double.

When making a 9 x 13 sheet cake, are you just supposed to use ONE recipe yield and then split it (I like the icing in the middle)????
I feel like I just wasted cake here (not to mention this was the 2nd attempt at this recipe so I have made FOUR cakes now)!!!
icon_confused.gif

TIA!

2 replies
CWR41 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:12am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

(2) 9 x 13s and then stacked them. This thing looks pretty huge now! It's just over 3 inches tall. I'm thinking this is going to give them waaaay more than 24 servings, maybe almost double.

Yes, 50 servings for double-layer cake that size.
One layer (approx. 7 cups batter):
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:38am
post #3 of 3

If you cut the 9x13 into the standard 2x2x2" squares (this is single layer), then you would be cutting the cake into approx 4 rows by 6 columns - 24 pieces.

Logically if you put a 2nd layer on the top, then have doubled the amount of cake. Since it's a 2-layer, the cake would be cut in 1x2x4" pieces, meaning the cake would be cut in approx 8 rows by 6 columns = 48 pcs.

If you cut the 2-layer in the same size pieces as the single layer (2x2" squares that are now 4" tall), the guests are still getting twice as much cake.

(On odd-size rectangle or square pans, I always round down to the next even-number to allow for any shrinking and to make the math easier. icon_wink.gif )

I dont' know if you are selling cakes or not, but if/when you get to that point, keep this in mind as you set your price-per-serving. Twice the amount of cake = twice the amount of servings. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%