Did I Make A Mistake When I Added Luster Dust?

Decorating By MaTwosey Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 1:13am by MaTwosey

MaTwosey Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:55am
post #1 of 10

ok. So I made my first loop bow using modeling chocolate. It came out ok for a first try. Of course, I didn't just leave it at that, I dry dusted it with white luster dust.

Now I tried the dust on the roses first and it looked nice, but on the bow it picked up all of the folds/imperfections.

What can I do? Is there a way to "lessen" the effect? My first mistake was using white dust instead of red or pink I guess. I'd love to be able to fix the bow, but I may need to make a whole new one???? jeez

Any suggestions? help? please?

I'll post photos in my gallery

9 replies
MJoycake Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:19am
post #2 of 10

Do you have any red dust you could go over it with??

MaTwosey Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 10

Do you think that would help? I could certainly GET some if that's the answer. lol

MJoycake Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 10

I think it would help. Best of luck with it - otherwise, you did a beautiful job with it!

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:40am
post #5 of 10

The bow is lovely, but I doubt that adding more luster dust to it will hide any of the flaws that are bothering you.

Unless you handle modeling chocolate with white cotton gloves, it will pick up fingerprints and develop issues where it's come into contact with the heat of a naked hand.

The "issues" aren't obvious unless you accentuate them by adding dusts to the surface--sort of like the fingerprint dusting process you see on crime shows.

jenny311 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:49am
post #6 of 10

I did the same thing last night with the police light on my Police cake. It was red fondant, not modeling chocolate, but the same thing happened when I added pearl luster dust to it. The cracks starting showing, so I mixed super red Americolor with vodka with a bit of the pearl luster dust for shimmer and it covered the cracks perfectly and gave the light a much better look. Give that a shot!

ddaigle Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:27am
post #7 of 10

I am a luster dust addict. I use it all the time. I have found that it looks horrible on primary colors. Use the luster dust that matches your primary piece and save the pearl pr white luster dust for pastels. My opinion.

MaTwosey Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:34am
post #8 of 10

Thank you so much for your feedback! This was my forum post and boy is it great to have more experienced bakers to help.

I think I'm going to try jenny's idea, repainting with red/vodka/dust.

Ddaigle... making a mental note "not on primaries" (haha)

Thank you all. I'll try to fix it and show you the result. Otherwise I have a week to make a new one.

jenny311 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:42am
post #9 of 10

No problem, Good luck, you made a beautiful bow!! Can't wait to see it finished.

MaTwosey Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 1:13am
post #10 of 10

So I just uploaded the finished project. I painted the bow as advised and I was so much more satisfied. I think next time I'll start out that way. Now I just have to work on my viva techniques.

Quote by @%username% on %date%