Need Your Help Now....urgent!!!!

Decorating By cakeaddikt Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 3:10am by leah_s

cakeaddikt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddikt Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cutting board cake with a chef hat and I am having a problem with the chef hat..It seems like it wants to topple over with the slightest movement and I dont know what to do. The cutting board is pretty large so that hat had to be pretty tall to be in sync with the chef hat. I made the hat out of 4- 6 inch rounds all torted and iced. Maybe it is just too tall..Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do???? The hat is to sit next to the cutting board on the cake board.

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 5

I would take off the top two layers and add dowels and a board. If you can't do that, sharpen a couple of dowels and drive them down through the cake and into the board.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 5

You should probably run some type of support down through your chef's hat, possibly screw a dowel into your cake board if possibly and place your hat over the dowel.

Your correct in that your cake is too tall. It has a high center of gravity which is why it wants to tip over so easily.

cakeaddikt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddikt Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:56am
post #4 of 5

Okay great, thanks!!! Ive taken off a layer and added a dowel and it is helping. I'm hesitant to take off too much and then the hat is way smaller than the cutting board.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 5

You don't have to make the chef hat shorter. You have to support it in the middle. If I understand correctly, the chef hat is 8" tall. That means that at the 4" point there needs to be dowels and a cardboard. You need to support every 4 vertical inches.

Think of it as 2 tiers, stacked. They just happen to be the same diameter. You wouldn't stack two tiers of a "normal" cake without support. Same theory here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%