How Do You Charge

Decorating By monicabrea Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 1:40am by monicabrea

monicabrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monicabrea Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 7

Do you require some type of payment up front? The whole payment first? Or just get paid when the cake is done? I am doing my first cake for sale YAY ME! and I'm not sure what do

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 7

Before you accept money for a cake, make sure you have liability insurance and are set up legally according to your state's regulations (in some states, you cannot sell cakes made from home).

For large orders such as wedding cakes, we require a 50% deposit to hold the date and another 50% two weeks before the event.

monicabrea Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 7

I do have insurance and this cake is for a friend. Its for about 20 people

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 7

Always be paid in full before handing over cake! There are so many posts from people about how friends 'don't have cash/ right money' and will pay them 'next week' or send the money 'through so and so' and it never happens - so cheerio friendship!

Most people prefer to be paid in full before even starting the cake - so at least one week previous for cash, and longer for cheques if u accept them (don't want to have handed over the cake, to get a call on monday that it bounced!)
xx

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 7

Friends can be the worst to get payment from! For a cake for only 20 people I'd get payment up front in full before making it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 7

I require 50% deposit to hold the date and the remainder at time of pickup, if they don't have the money at pick-up then they don't get their order, i'm a business not a charity.

weddings are due in full 2 weeks before delivery date.

friends and family are the worst to get money from.

monicabrea Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:40am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone now I just have to figure out what I should charge them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%