Top Tier Too Short ....

Decorating By jadedlogic Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 5:14am by KoryAK

jadedlogic Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 7

So my top tier (6inch) is too short by about 1/2 inch - I have the uncovered cardboard cake circles for under the 6 inch can I glue two of them together with RI to at least get some of the height I need? And then ice and cover in fondant like usual? Help please!

6 replies
mayo2222 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 7

Sounds like you already know what to do. Either increase the amount and/or size of cake boards or the amount of filling/frosting your torte/ice. or a combination of the two.

Good luck!

Normita Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 7

Cut some foam core the size of your cake and you should be fine. They come in 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch. They have them at michaels. I have done this before, and it works fine

mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 7

Yep, sounds like a good idea.

KoryAK Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 7

you got it!

CWR41 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:24am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlogic

So my top tier (6inch) is too short by about 1/2 inch -

Too short for what? If the top tier is only 3.5", it won't hurt anything. It only "has" to be 4" tall if you're trying to use a single-plate separator with 4" legs inside, but since it's the top tier and doesn't need supports--it won't much matter.

Larger base tiers are often taller than 4" to make it look like it's proportionate to the other tiers or a strong sturdy base rather than a short squatty one in comparision, and the smallest tier can be slightly shorter so it doesn't appear overpowering. In most designs, it doesn't look attractive when middle tiers are taller than the base tier or shorter than the top tier.

KoryAK Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:14am
post #7 of 7

If every other tier is the exact same height, it WILL look off to have a smaller one. I hear what you're saying, CWR, but I think the right way to go is to build it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%