My Mousse Is Soup...

Baking By Scarlets-Cakes Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 12:47am by imagenthatnj

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 7

I made the following:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2030/rasberry-mousse-filling-ii

It's been in the fridge for at least an hour. I need to get this cake filled and it's not mousse....it's soup! Help!

6 replies
tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 7

I dont see why it would be soup, but try to add a little bit of psugar.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 7

I wish I could help you, but I had the same problem with a similar cool whip filling. After adding powdered sugar it was just sweet and thicker, but not fluffy at all. I gave up and used Frosting Pride, it is a nondairy whipped topping that doesn't break down as easily.

I really hope it works out better for you. It is so frustrating when recipes don't work out as we expect.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 7

I don't know anything about fixing problems like this, so don't shoot me if this is a crap idea! But maybe put some fruit flavoured jelly in there - I mean the gelatin based wobbly stuff that kids have at parties.

I have a recipe for a dessert which uses a pack of jelly, some cottage cheese all whipped smooth, and some protein powder. (it's for body building diets!). When it sets, it's like a light fluffy mousse, insanely delicious. so maybe that will save your recipe?

In my recipe you blend up the protein powder with the cottage cheese, then add the jelly to some boiling water, then mix both bowls together. So if you wanted to try it, you'd mix up the jelly first then add to your existing mixture.

what have you got to lose?

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:24am
post #5 of 7

I whipped up a batch of Dream Whip and folded it in. Not as fluffy as I would have liked, but much better than my soup. Thanks, guys for your responses. Won't use this recipe again. Will stick to the scratch method.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:42am
post #6 of 7

I always use gelatin and then fold the cool whip in by hand. The mixture should be thick, but not set when you fold in the cool whip. This recipe doesn't use any gelatin so I'm not sure if that is part of the problem or not.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:47am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

I always use gelatin and then fold the cool whip in by hand. The mixture should be thick, but not set when you fold in the cool whip. This recipe doesn't use any gelatin so I'm not sure if that is part of the problem or not.

Agreed. Every mousse recipe I've seen/tried, has gelatin on it.

Other people seem to have tried this one though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%