Phonebook Ads

Business By sweetonyouzz Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 1:08am by Kima920

sweetonyouzz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 31

I am going to work on marketing while the construction is being done on my bakeshop., Once it is done my health dept says once the final inspection is done they can approve me right on the spot.

I have an appointment with our phonebook company, (one of their marketing guys) I want to place a small ad in the yellow pages with my name and website. I am looking at the smartest way of spending my marketing dollars and my goal is to look professional and reputable. I also want to get my website re-vamped and accessable.

Any other suggestions? Thanks so much for any help!
Jo

30 replies
jason_kraft Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 31

Does anyone still read the phone book?

You would probably be better served targeting your marketing spend online with Facebook, Yelp, Google AdWords, and wedding portals. Creating relationships with venues and attending bridal shows also usually offer better returns than print advertising.

leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 31

Phone book? NOOOOOOOOO Complete waste of money. Send your advertising $ on internet based things like Google Ad Words and a really easy to use website. Young people don't even know what a phone book is. And by young people I mean the population under 40.

cakes22 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 31

No offense, but I don't use the phone book ( maybe the yellowpages app on my iphone once in a while).

I agree with leah_s, I'd invest in online advertising.

costumeczar Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 31

NONONONONO! I just saw an atricle today about how they might get rid of the white pages, and NOBODY shops in the yellow pages anymore. TOTAL waste of money. The phone copmpany people will try to get you to sign up for all kinds of stuff, but don't waste your cash!

leily Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 31

We have phonebooks in our house and we forget we have them until someone ask for one. (grandparents when they visit)

The only thing we use them for is menus for local restaurants IF they aren't already online. We use Google or whitepages.com. Definitely SKIP the phonebook. Put the money into networking with others (like mentioned above) and into your website.

brincess_b Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 31

I keep my phone book for Internet down situations - it's still in the wrapper!
I know the phone book is where I will find all local companies, many don't have a big online prescence - but I can still find at least three local companies online and that's enough to compare quality and price.
If it was cheap enough I'd do it - but I know here phone book adds are pricey!
xx

cakesbycathy Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 31

I just yesterday read an article on MSN talking about how phone books are becoming obselete. Many cities are getting rid of them altogether. IMO it would be a complete waste of your money.

mayo2222 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 31

The only time I use the phone books is to find the power companies ph# when the electricity goes out and if I ever get around to putting the # on the fridge I don't think I will have any use for it.

The newest one we just didn't even make it into our house as it went straight into the recycling.

sweetonyouzz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:58pm
post #10 of 31

Well, I talked to them and they will put me on their on-line directory as well so it would give me some on-line coverage. Who or where should I contact to get my website out there...by the way, thanks for your imput so far!!Jo

cabecakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 31

I have seen a lot of businesses on Facebook. A lot of people use facebook now days. I like others on here seldom use the phone book. It's to easy to get online. Heck if you can order you pizza online, why not you cakes. I'd definitely look into some online advertising, especially facebook.

jason_kraft Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:07pm
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

The only time I use the phone books is to find the power companies ph# when the electricity goes out and if I ever get around to putting the # on the fridge I don't think I will have any use for it.

Putting the power company's number in your cell phone would also work. icon_wink.gif

jason_kraft Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetonyouzz

Well, I talked to them and they will put me on their on-line directory as well so it would give me some on-line coverage. Who or where should I contact to get my website out there...by the way, thanks for your imput so far!!Jo

The yellow pages' online directory probably won't get you much exposure. If they are putting you there for free, that's fine, but I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

You can start by creating a facebook page and a Google Places page (http://www.google.com/local/add/businessCenter) for your business, and look at AdWords (http://adwords.google.com) when you are ready to ramp up advertise. TheKnot.com is a good place to advertise wedding cake services.

mayo2222 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:11pm
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

Putting the power company's number in your cell phone would also work. icon_wink.gif

That would work if I had a cell phone

sweetonyouzz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:39pm
post #15 of 31

I have to admit, I am a little surprised as whenever I need something special, like a local plummer,etc, I do use the phone book. I want to attract a crowd that wants specialty cakes and a crowd that has the money to pay...I want to look like a class operation and my website gets the business but people often describe 'stumbling' across it...I will pay for the right advertising to achieve these goals...
Jo

cakeladyatLA Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:50pm
post #16 of 31
costumeczar Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:04pm
post #17 of 31
Quote:

Do NOT fall for this! They use this same sales ploy all the time, but it won't get you any mroe exposure than using the free lisitngs on a lot of wedding and party-planning boards. It's a rip off!

costumeczar Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:05pm
post #18 of 31
Quote:

Do NOT fall for this! They use this same sales ploy all the time, but it won't get you any more exposure than using the free listings on a lot of wedding and party-planning boards. It's a rip off!

leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:17pm
post #19 of 31

Seriously, STAY AWAY from all types of phone book ads, even the online ones.

As for getting your website "out there" its all about finding a good host that has as close to 100% uptime as possible, good keywords, and right now, its more important than ever to have valid inbound links.

cutthecake Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:53pm
post #20 of 31

The main use of the phone book in our house is to "boost" up visiting children who can't reach the table.
Even basic information about local businesses without web sites shows up if you search for them.

leah, I wish I was computer savvy enough to know what most of your last sentence means (as close to 100% uptime as possible; valid inbound links?)! Maybe I SHOULD go back to reading the phone book.

jason_kraft Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:43pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

leah, I wish I was computer savvy enough to know what most of your last sentence means (as close to 100% uptime as possible; valid inbound links?)!

100% uptime means that your web site is never down. No web site is available 100% of the time, but to get as close as possible to 100% you need to do research on web hosting companies. Companies that offer free web hosting tend to be overloaded and have lower uptime.

Inbound links refer to other sites that link to yours, for example if someone mentions your business in a blog and links to it, or your site is listed in a wedding site directory of vendors. Most search engines use the number and quality of inbound links (quality meaning how many people view the site that links to yours) to determine placement in search results.

sweetonyouzz Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:32pm
post #22 of 31

thanks everybody...I am going to skip the phone ad. But seriously, I consider myself fairly savy.. but when it comes to computers I am getting there but talk to me like I am an idiot!! lol

costumeczar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:30pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

[
Inbound links refer to other sites that link to yours, for example if someone mentions your business in a blog and links to it, or your site is listed in a wedding site directory of vendors. Most search engines use the number and quality of inbound links (quality meaning how many people view the site that links to yours) to determine placement in search results.

Google has stopped weighting inbound links as highly as they did, though. their new logarithm uses index page text that's actually visible on the page more than links, because of people trading links so much to game the system. But they'll probably change that and use something else by next week! icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 7:38pm
post #24 of 31

You're right costume, in that Google changes up the weighting in the logarithm fairly often. It makes it harder to game their system. if I was Google I'd do it too!

costumeczar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 9:06pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

You're right costume, in that Google changes up the weighting in the logarithm fairly often. It makes it harder to game their system. if I was Google I'd do it too!

They're very tricky!

debster Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 10:04pm
post #26 of 31

I agree with LEAHS..............no phone book, I did one phone book year before last and last year the other. I got 11 calls from phone first year and about 30 the second. NOT WORTH THE MONEY, I also had my website listed and a small add. My free web stuff pulls in the most and if you could afford it I'd put money into the internet. When I want to find something I dont use the phone book I sit at the computer and google EVERYTHING. Google free internet advertising for your area. Take all you can get you'd be surprised after a while the phone calls you'll get.

One good place to go to is www.merchantcircle.com and punch in your area, they let you upload pictures and put up coupons free of charge and when you do a search for cakes in your area up will pop your website for free. I've used this for the past two years and love it!!!!!

jason_kraft Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 10:42pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Google has stopped weighting inbound links as highly as they did, though. their new logarithm uses index page text that's actually visible on the page more than links, because of people trading links so much to game the system. But they'll probably change that and use something else by next week! icon_rolleyes.gif

The exact PageRank algorithm is a trade secret and changes regularly, but I'm pretty sure inbound links are still one of the most important factors in results placement. The algorithm is recursive, so the PageRank of all the pages containing inbound links to your site also factor in to your own PageRank (which directly impacts where your web site appears in search results). When Google discovers link spam farms or attempts to game the system, all pages connected to the offending site suffer.

costumeczar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 11:31pm
post #28 of 31

Here's a quick look at what they were up to the last change...Again, they'll probably change it in a couple of months. I know that keywords in the code aren't as important anymore, and that all flash sites don't rank well because it's actually looking at the text on the page. They stopped rankign all inbound links as highly, since they know that people say "I'll put a link on your page if you put one on mine." High quality inbound links will always be important, but total number of inbound ones aren't as important anymore.

The last few paragraphs of this article make a good point, though. It's pretty much all about content when it comes down to it. All you can do is try to make sure your content is good and everything's in place as far as your code goes, then submit your site to the search engines.

http://www.optimum7.com/internet-marketing/search-engines/how-google%E2%80%99s-new-algorithm-will-affect-seo.html

BethLS Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:36am
post #29 of 31

I must be the most abnormal 25 year old there is. icon_lol.gif I use my phone book very, very reguarly. In fact I just peeked in mine at work to find a good peddler. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:59am
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLS

I must be the most abnormal 25 year old there is. icon_lol.gif I use my phone book very, very reguarly. In fact I just peeked in mine at work to find a good peddler. icon_smile.gif

The phone company thanks you for your loyalty! I actually keep a copy of the phone book in my car so that when (not if) I get lost I can call if I need directions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%