Across The Border Thanksgiving Shopping

Lounge By DinasSugarShack Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 12:38am by neecerator

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone:
To all those fellow canadians out there. Does any of you go shopping in the states on american thanksgiving? Can you tell me about the border crossing? is it normally a really long wait? How about the deal, are they worth it?
I booked a little shopping getaway to Grove city to go on thursday night, but have been hearing that the wait at the border is far too long.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dina

4 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 5

I was recently in Auburn NY, close to the Waterloo Outlet stores. I asked one of the sales clerks about Black Friday, and she said it is insane for the employees and the shoppers. I think the WO stores open at midnight, but she said the lineups are ridiculus. 1-2 hours waiting in the lineup to cash out.
For border times, you can check out the government website, they usually have a good idea of the times. If you have a smart phone (iphone) there is an app for up-to-date border times.
Unless your getting a smoking deal, sometimes it isn't worth the trip (gas, accomidations, food etc). How much are you really saving at that point?

MelissaAnn84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaAnn84 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 5

I wouldnt even dream of trying to cross the border after the American thanksgiving! we just went over yesterday, and still got tons of great deals, and we didnt have to wait long at the border at all. Some friends of my moms go to Buffalo on Black Friday and they say there are people (including themselves!) who cross the border, then sleep in their cars to avoid the border crossing when it gets busy, so that should give you an idea of how crazy it is!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 5

I'd not try it myself, the wait would be way too long. Just this past Remembrance day, with most taking Friday off, and with the dollar being almost par, there was a good 3 to 31/2 hr wait to cross. Not much better coming home.

DH & I only go midweek. Still find good deals & we don't have the craziness to deal with.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:38am
post #5 of 5

Hi There:
I'm Canadian, but I currently live in PA. One hour from Grove City, in fact. Even though I live here, I still don't go out for Black Friday shopping, nor any time during that weekend. If you are really young, and have lots of energy, and broad shoulders, then more power to you.
tee hee, by all means go, but we get such good deals here year round, that I never go to those sales. Don't get me wrong, many millions do go, and get some great deals. I've also heard of horror stories, of people getting trampled at the large box stores when the doors open, and people fighting, etc. Good luck no matter what you decide. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%