Can You Please Help Me With My Cake Balls Project?

Decorating By Writecakes Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 1:27am by endymion

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 18

Hi CC'ers! icon_smile.gif

I want to make cake balls/pops for "local heroes" this year for Christmas - teachers, firefighters, police officers, etc. I'm wondering if you can advise me on some frugal, but nice way to package these? I have heard they fit nicely in mini-cupcake holders, but what container holds these securely so they do not topple over? Also, if you could share your favorite flavor combinations with me, I'd be grateful. I'd really like to surprise them with something extra special.

Thanks so much for your help icon_smile.gif

17 replies
JYSE_Too_Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JYSE_Too_Sweet Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 18

I did some last Christmas in Chinese takeout containers. Bought them at the dollar store. About 8 fit in each & I put a parchment sheet in between the layers.

Depends on how many you want to do per person on how this can really be addressed. Any thoughts?

Writecakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 18

I will check my dollar store for those - they sound cute! I'm not sure about how many. I figured I'd base the qty by the packaging options.

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 18

I have done a few different things with my cake pops. I have bought little gift bags and put a piece of tissue paper, then styrofoam block and then inserted the pops and filling in with decorative tissue paper. I have also bought clear plastic cups, inserted a decorative piece of tissue paper and then a small block of styrofoam to hold the pops in place. I have also used small/large bowls depending on the pop order size with the same technique. Another idea I've used is to just get a square styrofoam block push in the pops on the top and then wrap it with any type of decorative paper and put a ribbon around it.

Hope this helps!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 18

You can also get little containers at the $ store.

Writecakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 18

Thank you, thank you! Love all these ideas!

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 18

Michaels has little christmas boxes for a $1 each. Yu would need to use food safe tussue ir wax paper because its not a food container. And if you go today (11/12) you can print a coupon online for 20% off your whole order. I picked up a bunch myself for cake balls for all my lttle extra christmas gifts (kids bus driver, mailman, etc) I figure 2 will fit in each.

A fun flavor is Peaunt butter cup- I take chocolate cake rolled wil peanut butter buttercream dipped in dark chocolate.

Writecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 18

THanks so much, I will check it out today icon_smile.gif

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 18

I dont use icing in mine. Its too sweet with the coating on them for me. I use flavored coffee creamers and liqueurs. Kahlua has a new flavor this year called Peppermint Mocha I think. I know its got peppermint in it though. That would be great with white cake. i also use another liqueur called Rum Chatta. it is mexican and has cinnamon and vanilla flavors. I have also used Baileys irish cream. (notice my name is BoozeBabe!!!) icon_lol.gif I own liquor stores--hence me name. I can find a use for just about ANY liquor. Oh I almost forgot theres another new item called Tres Leches. That would work great. Think I'll try that one with yellow cake for Thanksgiving.

Finally I cover them with candy melts. Usually white with a squiggle of color on top. Everyone raves over them and think I worked for days making them.

Writecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 18

That sounds delicious! Can you please tell me about how much you use in each batch? I would love to try all those flavor combos! icon_smile.gif

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 18

If I use a whole cake, I bake a 9x13 cake. Run chunks thru the food processor to consistency of graham cracker crumbs. Then i start adding flavors. Usually I divide the cake and make at least 2 flavors. Its really hard to say how much. I start with 1/4 cup and add a tablespoon full at a time after that. Add some and mix with a fork. keep adding until a small amount squeezed in your hand will stick together. Dont make it too wet. It just needs to be moist enough to hold together. Roll balls and freeze for a short time to chill. The candy melts cool faster on frozen balls.

Good luck.

Writecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:12pm
post #12 of 18

Thank you!!

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 18

I have also done the Chinese take out boxes. They sold different christmas and winter themed boxes at Micheals. I have also used a 2 piece candy box-bought some from a candy/chocolate store-6 fit in each box. I liked the boxes better because I could put them in a mini cupcake/candy liner and they look better-but...more cost! I love the website for plastic container city-they have a wide assortment and you can buy the containers individually!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 7:36am
post #14 of 18

BoozeBabe, I love baking with alcohol. It adds such a rich flavor when done well. Thanks for the cake ball tips.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 9:55am
post #15 of 18

I just finished (literally just a few seconds ago LOL) making 100 raspberry and godiva white chocolate liqueur cake balls dipped in white chocolate.

Over the weekend I made 250 orange cake balls dipped in dark chocolate with contreau liqueur and 100 Bailey's Irish cream cake balls dipped in milk chocolate, both with a white chocolate drizzle.

For packaging I am using origami boxes I made with a few friends lined with parchment paper for a charity bake sale at work.

My cake balls are a fair size and I can get 4 of them into a box.... Found this was the cheapest way to package them up for me and it was a ton of fun.

It was a learning experience but let me tell ya got the hang of it pretty quickly and you get a groove going.

Only thing I found now is that I don't want to look at, eat or smell another piece of chocolate for a very long time!

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:09am
post #16 of 18

I have a question: how do you price your cake balls? Per dozen or each? And if you offer those super cute and labor intense ones like Bakerella's, how would you price those?

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:23am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelka

I have a question: how do you price your cake balls? Per dozen or each? And if you offer those super cute and labor intense ones like Bakerella's, how would you price those?

So, in WY, nobody, and I mean nobody is willing to pay more than 1$ each, so I priced them at 12$ per dozen with a dozen minimum order. I made them for awhile, and everyone love-loved them so much but,ultimately, they were not worth my time and mess. So now the only way I consider making them is for particular friends or family as a gift. Maybe in other markets they can go for alot more, just not here.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:27am
post #18 of 18

I made some and put them in (handwashed) clear egg containers, lined with food-safe tissue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%