Is It Possible To Make Smbc With Splenda?

Baking By TickleMySweetTooth Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 1:25am by KatsSuiteCakes

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:17am
post #1 of 15

Hey all,

So just wondering if anyone here knows hot to make SMBC with splenda.. it is at all possible?
I have tried to make meringues before with splenda..for a lemon pie..(I do same as SMBC and cook on water bath) but it just turned into a big mess! Was just nasty! So was wondering what others thinks before trying again, I don't want to throw money down the drain again icon_wink.gif
I was thinking.. maybe cook egg whites like normal, then add splenda AFTER eggs reach proper temp? Would that work?

thanks!!

14 replies
KoryAK Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:28am
post #2 of 15

No, I don't think it will work. Meringue NEEDS sugar to be stable.

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 15

Anyone else know or have tried? thanks!

3GCakes Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:52am
post #4 of 15

I agree with KoryAK, there are certain chemical reactions that must take place with the sugar, eggs, and butter...and I don't think Splenda supports them. It doesn't thicken like a sugar syrup.

au_decorator_76 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:58am
post #5 of 15

Won't work because of the makeup of Splenda. Also...if you are baking for a crowd that you don't know well make sure you advertise it's made with Splenda. Some people, myself included, can have severe reactions to Splenda. I wish the stuff would go off the market!

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:15am
post #6 of 15

thanks, its not for anyone else.. it's for me. I don't eat sugar.

3GCakes Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:17am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMySweetTooth

You can make a whipped butter with splenda added. That might work.

au_decorator_76 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:20am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMySweetTooth

What great restraint to bake and not eat sugar. I admire that! Even if it's for a medical reason that's a lot of temptation in that.

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:26am
post #9 of 15

lol thanks I do hear that quite a bit.. am ALWAYS asked how I bake so much and not eat. icon_biggrin.gif

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 15

So just wanted to let you know, I did end up making.. turned out GREAT! So it is possible icon_wink.gif

what_a_cake Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 15

wow!! good for you thumbs_up.gif

now tell us, the procedure and recipe are same just replacing sugar with splenda granules?

Debi2 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks! I'm so glad it worked out for you! My father is Diabetic, so this info will definitely come in handy for me. thumbs_up.gif

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 15

I'm so surprised that it worked. YAY! I've tried meringue's with Splenda before as well, and they were awful. I might try this though, my FIL can't have sugar. icon_surprised.gif

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:29pm
post #14 of 15

I actually did exact same way.. but you will noticed your eggs whites get really fluffy just keep going. IT WILL get back to a normal meringue when you whip in mixer icon_smile.gif
I don't do just gluten free, but I do low carb. And this is why gluten/sugar free. I started experimenting with coconut flour. really can not even tell it is coconut. tricky to work with , but fun learning icon_smile.gif
I posted the recipe here:
http://candiceslowcarbrecipes.typepad.com/blog/2010/11/candices-low-carb-cupcakes-with-toasted-coconut-buttercream.html

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:25am
post #15 of 15

Ooohhh! I'm a low carber........thanks! I'll be watching your blog! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%