Applying Edible Images -- Time Frame

Decorating By chikadodle Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 3:21pm by cakesmart

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:27am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I need to use edible images (from IcingImages.com) on a cake due on Sunday morning. The cake doesn't have to be refrigerated and will be covered in fondant. It is a life size guitar cake and I will have to patch two edible images onto the body. Then I plan on attaching all of the other bits and pieces (ie, pickups, strings, neck, etc.). Can I put this whole thing together on Saturday night, then leave it out at room temp? Will this cause the images to warp or peel off? Should I cover the cake, adjust the temperature of the bakery, etc? Sorry for so many questions but I am completely unfamiliar with the edible image process! Thanks for any help!

5 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 6

If you ,make it on saturday you should be fine. The only problem i"ve seen with edible images sitting out is that reaaly saturated colors (especially blues) on printed photos tend to fade if exposed to light for a long time, but 1 day should be just fine. If you are using a comercially produced edible image you should really have not problem at all. Keep in mind that once you place it you cant move it, otherwise they are super easy to use.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 6

I've used the KopyKake paper for the edible image and it did not dry out once applied to the cake. The challenge was keeping the frosting sheet (paper) for drying out before using it. Be sure to keep the frosting sheet in a sealed plastic bag and you should be fine.

chikadodle Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both for your help! The colors on the icing sheet actually came out much darker than I had anticipated or wanted, so the fading would come in handy. Cross your fingers for me! This is my last wedding cake of the year and it's been a bit of a PITA.

chikadodle Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 6

Finally, the cake is done and delivered! Here is a photo of the final product. Thank you both again for your help!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1867135&sub=1867139

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 6

You did an awesome job...looks very realistic. The colors are vibrant...I wouldn't change a thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%