This May Be A Silly And Basic Question...

Decorating By mamakasst Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 1:15am by mamakasst

mamakasst Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:01am
post #1 of 4

but I was asked to make my brother's wedding cake. They are only have about 100 people so it doesn't need to be very big. My question is how do i stack the cake? I see on the shows that they just pick it up and put it on top. I know I need supports in the cake but does each individual tier have its own cake board? Should the cake board be the same size as the actual cake so you don't see it? Are the small cake boards that you can find at wal-mart okay or would you suggest something else?

I know I said question when I really should have said questionS.

icon_smile.gif thanks!

3 replies
Jamielc Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 4

Yes, each tier needs to be supported with dowels. And yes each tier of cake needs to be on its own board that is the same size as the cake. I've used the cake boards from Walmart with no issue. You could also use foam board (found in the poster board section of Walmart or a craft store). As for stacking the cake, do it carefully. I usually use an offset spatula to balance the weight when I'm trying to get my fingers out from under a tier of cake. Good Luck!

Sassy74 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:31am
post #3 of 4

There are a couple of YouTube videos on stacking. Edna De La Cruz has a great tutorial.

Hope that helps!

mamakasst Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:15am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help so far!! im going to practice as much as i can before i have to make the actual cake. i would hate to make their wedding cake without any practice and mess it up. especially since this will be my first wedding cake!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%