Small Ball For The Rattle - Need Ideas!!!

Decorating By DeezTreatz Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 10:53am by indydebi

DeezTreatz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 10

Hey guys!

I am making a similar rattle cake for this weekend!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1486401

I've made the large ball (I used the wilton ball pan)
But I don't have a small ball pan to make the second ball...
I tried making a fondant ball - and that didn't turn out well - too many cracks and looked sloppy... icon_razz.gif So I really need ideas for the small ball!

Can you think of anything edible I could cover in fondant that is shaped in a ball? I made cupcakes with the extra batter... I could attempt to make a large cake pop? lol I don't know... ieeee

TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
rnp3603 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:14am
post #2 of 10

How about rice crispy treats? Maybe using a glass bowl to give them the shape? Or even better, if such bowl is oven proof it may be used to make the cake. hth

Ruthie

Win Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:34am
post #3 of 10

I would absolutely go with the rice krispie treats. Make your ball and then give it a good coating of melted chocolate (white if possible.) The chocolate fills in the bumps and gives you a good surface for covering with fondant. HTH

LaurenLuLu Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:44am
post #4 of 10

How about cooked brownie? I just made brownie lollipops and they molded very easily into a ball to poke a stick into. If you use brownie, make sure to scrape off the crusty top and don't use the edges and you should be able to get a smooth surface on your rattle.

DeezTreatz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:50am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the quick replies!!!
I will def. go with the rice krispies or the brownies icon_smile.gif
How do u make brownie pops - just mold it into a ball? Do u use icing?

Glad I don't have to give up the cupcakes! LOL I'm going to make them into rattles too!

LaurenLuLu Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 10

Yep, for the brownie pops the brownie is so moist it holds its shape very well when formed into a ball. I put a stick into each ball and freeze them for a few hours. When frozen I pour warmed candy melts over them forming a hard shell. Can be decorated to look super cute by rolling in sprinkles/crushed toppings or by piping designs onto them with other candy melts in different colors.

candicemarie Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:46am
post #7 of 10

why not make the fondan ball. then wrap it in another piece of fondant. it would cover any inperfections.

madgeowens Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:20am
post #8 of 10

can you make it out of rkt?
how about modeling chocolate

how about an ice cream scooper you have a metal one and prop it on a cupcake pan you could bake a tiny cake icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:39am
post #9 of 10

If it's not too late to add another suggestion .....

At a local ICES meeting, a lady demonstrated her "Gumball Babies", where she used gumballs to wrap fondant or gumpaste around to make "babies". The reasoning was to combat the issue you ran into ... just fondant or gumpaste cracks and/or takes too long to dry. She had some HUGE gumballs! Her technique has been published, too, so you may hvae seen it in magazines.

indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 10:53am
post #10 of 10

Here's the closest thing I could find on a how-to for gumball babies:

http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/gum_ball_baby.pdf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%