Doctoring Up Chocolate Bettercream

Baking By mom2twogrlz Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 6:24am by mom2twogrlz

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 23

I want to make a chocolate mousse filling that is a little richer than straight chocolate bettercream. Any ideas of what I can add without changing the texture too much. I want it to remain fluffy and mousse-like rather than like a pudding. TIA

22 replies
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:06am
post #2 of 23

Or if anyone has a recipe for a shelf stable fluffy chocolate mousse they would like to share that would be great too.

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:52am
post #3 of 23

What about adding fudge topping (for ice cream) or ganache?

mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:06am
post #4 of 23

Last time I tried the fudge it changed the texture so much. It made it too goey. But maybe if I add less it would work. I'll try that though. Any other ideas?

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:19am
post #5 of 23

I always use original flavored (vanilla) bettercreme (or its equiv), and add cocoa powder to it after I've whipped it up a bit, so that I get a rich chocolatey taste to it. I guess you can add CP to the chocolate flavored bettercreme too, and that will make it taste a lot richer.

HTH.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:09am
post #6 of 23

I whip up at least 1 C. of chocolate Bettercreme to soft peaks.

I take a box of instant pudding mix--cookies n' cream, chocolate fudge, devil's food, milk chocolate, chocolate turtle--or a box of Dr. Oetker's mousse mix--I love the chocolate raspberry--and add enough hot water to make a paste.

I take some of the whipped Bettercreme and add it to the paste to loosen it up a bit. I add it all back to the rest of the whipped Bettercreme and beat for a few seconds to mix it well.

It makes a marvelous, shelf stable (5 days) mousse.

Rae

mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I whip up at least 1 C. of chocolate Bettercreme to soft peaks.

I take a box of instant pudding mix--cookies n' cream, chocolate fudge, devil's food, milk chocolate, chocolate turtle--or a box of Dr. Oetker's mousse mix--I love the chocolate raspberry--and add enough hot water to make a paste.

I take some of the whipped Bettercreme and add it to the paste to loosen it up a bit. I add it all back to the rest of the whipped Bettercreme and beat for a few seconds to mix it well.

It makes a marvelous, shelf stable (5 days) mousse.

Rae

Souds delicious. Does it stay fluffy?

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 23

It's the consistency of a mousse or well stabilized whipped cream.

If something's too fluffy, it'll deflate under the weight of the cake & icing, anyway.

Rae

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 23

you could add some ganache to your chocolate buttercream... yummm

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 23

Is Buttercreme same as Buttercream? If not, please explain.

Thank you.

mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:

It's the consistency of a mousse or well stabilized whipped cream.

If something's too fluffy, it'll deflate under the weight of the cake & icing, anyway.

Rae

Thanks Rae. It turned out perfect, exactlty what I was looking for. It was fluffy, but like you said, not too fluffy.

mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:38pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa369

Is Buttercreme same as Buttercream? If not, please explain.

Thank you.

I was using Rich's Bettercream, which is a non-dairy whipped topping. It is like a cream puff filling, and is very versatile. It is offered in either vanilla or chocolate and I get mine at Smart n Final. You should give it a try.

rosa369 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 7:01pm
post #13 of 23

Thank you mom2twogrlz. Where I live there isn't any store like that. I think that Wilton has some whipped creme product similar to that one. lol

mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:23pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:

Thank you mom2twogrlz. Where I live there isn't any store like that. I think that Wilton has some whipped creme product similar to that one. lol

Maybe, I have never used the Wilton type.

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:52am
post #15 of 23
Quote:

NO--the Wilton product is nothing like Rich's Bettercreme (frozen quarts that you whip yourself). The reviews of the Wilton product are generally very poor.

Glad to hear that it worked out well for you, mom2. I make 99% of my fillings with the same method, using vanilla Bettercreme & flavored instant puddings or mousse mixes. I make a lemon "custard" filling the same way by addin in some canned lemon pie filling and some lemon zest. I hate lemon filling, but looooove this one.

Rae

rosa369 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:41am
post #16 of 23

Can I get this "Rich's Bettercream" on line? Please let me know.

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:42pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:

Can I get this "Rich's Bettercream" on line? Please let me know.

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

I don't know. Maybe try a search.

mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:44pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

NO--the Wilton product is nothing like Rich's Bettercreme (frozen quarts that you whip yourself). The reviews of the Wilton product are generally very poor.

Glad to hear that it worked out well for you, mom2. I make 99% of my fillings with the same method, using vanilla Bettercreme & flavored instant puddings or mousse mixes. I make a lemon "custard" filling the same way by addin in some canned lemon pie filling and some lemon zest. I hate lemon filling, but looooove this one.

Rae

I use it for just about every cake too. I love it, one of my favorites is adding some raspberry preserves and syrup...nummy!!! I will have to try the lemon, I used the sleeve last time, and it was ok, but I would rather have a mousse type. I like the creaminess.

mom2twogrlz Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:47am
post #19 of 23

Hey Blake's Cakes. I was just wondering, is the bettercreme shelf stable at room temp for 5 days? I usually refrigerate my cakes, but this one I am hesitant since it si black zebra stripes on white fondant. I don't want any bleeding issues from condensation. Will I be ok at room temp for for about 15 hours???? Or should I refrigerate and take the chance on bleeding???? I am nervous, I usually store my cakes in the fridge overnight.

BlakesCakes Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:51am
post #20 of 23

I only use the Bettercreme that you whip up yourself out of a frozen quart container.
That type of Bettercreme is shelf stable at room temp. for up to 5 days as long as it's kept under 80 degrees F.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that holds for the pre-whipped stuff.

HTH
Rae

mom2twogrlz Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 6:04am
post #21 of 23
Quote:

I only use the Bettercreme that you whip up yourself out of a frozen quart container.
That type of Bettercreme is shelf stable at room temp. for up to 5 days as long as it's kept under 80 degrees F.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that holds for the pre-whipped stuff.

HTH
Rae

Ok. I am using the Pastry Pride brand, whip from frozen. The container says aplied shelf life 5 days, but I just wanted to make sure. I am weird about leftovers. I need my food in the fridge ASAP or it goes in the trash.

The cake has been out since 9 am this morning and will be eaten tomorrow at about 7:30 or 8:00pm. Should I risk the bleeding and refiigerate or will it be ok at room temp. Our house is kept between 65 and 67 degrees in the winter.

BlakesCakes Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 6:12am
post #22 of 23

It'll be fine sitting out for 4 more days per the info on the label.

No worries.

Rae

mom2twogrlz Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 6:24am
post #23 of 23

Thank you!!! You are a life saver!!! You are always so fast to respond and so helpful!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%